OT: Premiership Football

2»

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Not strictly premiership football but I'll be damned if I'm making a new thread.

Utd were totally smashed again last night. Properly smashed. Outplayed, outgunned.

With the exception of Rooney's brilliant strike (out of barely anywhere) it was a depressing sight.

Seems La Liga is now the #1 league, even if it isn't competitative.

Might have something to do with the €800m the clubs owe the tax man, but still...
    Yeah I watched a bit of that match, and found it really quite enjoyable. How bothered are they though? The Premier League is what they want and by opting out of the Thursday night's Five-A-Side they really can go full tilt for the league now. Which is why I wasn't surprised to see City manage the same trick of being knocked out of the same competition two hours later.

Anyhoo. Biggy on Sunday, when the Mighty Leicester turn up at Chelsea to do the shock result of the weekend. You saw it here first. :)At least it would have been on if AVB hadn't got himself the boot the other week. Shame.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    CiB wrote:
    Not strictly premiership football but I'll be damned if I'm making a new thread.

Utd were totally smashed again last night. Properly smashed. Outplayed, outgunned.

With the exception of Rooney's brilliant strike (out of barely anywhere) it was a depressing sight.

Might have something to do with the €800m the clubs owe the tax man, but still...
    Yeah I watched a bit of that match, and found it really quite enjoyable. How bothered are they though? The Premier League is what they want and by opting out of the Thursday night's Five-A-Side they really can go full tilt for the league now. Which is why I wasn't surprised to see City manage the same trick of being knocked out of the same competition two hours later.

Anyhoo. Biggy on Sunday, when the Mighty Leicester turn up Chelsea to do the shock result of the weekend. You saw it here first. :)At least it would have been on if AVB hadn't got himself the boot the other week. Shame.

*groan* another home match?

FFS can't Chelsea get knocked out of these cups already.

I'll be mighty annoyed if they end up doing the Europa league. Fulham needs that summer rest from checkered shirt wearing w*nkers. It's not like they'll win anything anyway.

Utd probably aren't too fussed about Thursday nights on 5 (and Ferguson's mentioned the difficulty they've had playing on Thursday), but no Utd fan likes seeing Utd get ruined so comprehensively in both legs of any tie.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    no Utd fan likes seeing Utd get ruined so comprehensively in both legs of any tie.
    Maybe not (my ManU son was trying to use their loss as a reason not go to school today!!!! And then !!!!!!; as if...) but for some of us it brightens up a pleasant Thursday evening by a few more degrees. It's always a pleasant sight to see the sour-faced whiskey-nosed scots oik having to talk down a defeat and attempting to be sincere in his generosity towards the opposition.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    If Chelsea could gtfo of the Champions League that'd be appreciated. Don't want any chance of them taking the 4th spot away from the league.
    Scared Spurs fan? Yup.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

I think some of you are missing Rick's point. (Deliberately?)

While the Scots have been coming to terms with not only that we are bad, but worse than that; and England have been going on about how they have the best league in the World - The rest of Europe and Spain in particular have been moving the game up another level.
    If you didn't get the warnings last week and last night just wait for the games in the summer.
    Football is moving on even if our players and managers aren't.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,333
    dhope wrote:
    If Chelsea could gtfo of the Champions League that'd be appreciated. Don't want any chance of them taking the 4th spot away from the league.
    Scared Spurs fan? Yup.

Spurs fans should be more worried about being overhauled in the league by both Arsenal and Chelsea.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    So much Chelsea hate.

It's sad really....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    So much Chelsea hate.

It's sad really....

Why?

I'm not a fan and I live within 5minutes walk of the ground -ergo very irritating - especially when I'm trying to get home on a Wednesday night!
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    spen666 wrote:
    Pay £50 to get in £3+ for programme

Games switched at short notice for TV etc

Overpaid prima donnas not intrested in football or the fans

OR you local non- league side , admission, programme and a pint all for less than £10

The Future of Football is Here

Make your choice

Good post. But there is a half way house. You can get decent football with good clubs with proper supporters. Some clubs are trying.... see here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ony8ZdBYTx0
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    If Chelsea win the Champ League, don't they get an automatic place for next years competition? So if they finish 4th, doesn't the 4th seed English team go to the team that finishes 5th in the league.

Derp.

OK Chelsea finish 4th and win the Champ league. 4th spot goes to the 5th place team because Chelsea would have qualified through winning the competition, yes?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dhope
    daviesee wrote:

I think some of you are missing Rick's point. (Deliberately?)

While the Scots have been coming to terms with not only that we are bad, but worse than that; and England have been going on about how they have the best league in the World - The rest of Europe and Spain in particular have been moving the game up another level.
    If you didn't get the warnings last week and last night just wait for the games in the summer.
    Football is moving on even if our players and managers aren't.
    I'm not sure if football is moving on necessarily, but Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are the weakest they've been in years. City are new to winning and Spurs aren't established either. Peaks and troughs, the Premiership has been well represented over the last 10 years and it's not a catastrophe that we've had a year when only Chelsea have got to the quarters.
    And England have been gash as a national team for a long while, nothing new this summer on that front.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    So much Chelsea hate.

It's sad really....

Why?

I'm not a fan and I live within 5minutes walk of the ground -ergo very irritating - especially when I'm trying to get home on a Wednesday night!

You would have thought they would have considered the impact on your Wednesday nights when they were deciding where to build the stadium.....
  • tailwindhome
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    If Chelsea win the Champ League, don't they get an automatic place for next years competition? So if they finish 4th, doesn't the 4th seed English team go to the team that finishes 5th in the league.

Derp.

OK Chelsea finish 4th and win the Champ league. 4th spot goes to the 5th place team because Chelsea would have qualified through winning the competition, yes?

No.

Chelsea would qualify as 4th in england. There'd be no extra spot. That would remain with the Lativian runners up (or whoever)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Used to follow arsenal and my brother went to a few matches a year etc. but now we're both meh.
    Overpaid for what they actually do - the market has grossly overinflated itself and to line certain peoples pockets. Some footballers know what cushy lives they have and respond sensibly - lampard as one (I've heard from other people he's a nice guy too) some are so full of themselves its painful.
    So many people use their football team as a measure of their life and/or to use it as a/the sole crutch or support. Yet majority of teams and players don't acknowledge this and behave responsibly - act like they don't care and earn fuck loades of money every day.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • rick_chasey
    So much Chelsea hate.

It's sad really....

Why?

You would have thought they would have considered the impact on your Wednesday nights when they were deciding where to build the stadium.....

*shrugs*

It always seems that as soon as there's a football match, people who are attending lose all common decency and social responsibility.
  • dhope
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Derp.

No.

Chelsea would qualify as 4th in england. There'd be no extra spot. That would remain with the Lativian runners up (or whoever)
    This is why, as a Spurs fan, I would like Chelsea to drop out of Europe sharpish
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • hmbadger
    hmbadger Posts: 181
    So much Chelsea hate.

It's sad really....

Why?

*shrugs*

It always seems that as soon as there's a football match, people who are attending lose all common decency and social responsibility.

Phew, bit sweeping that isn;t it? In fact, it's utter garbage. For example there's 60 odd Stockport County fans cycling from Stockport to the game at Southport tomorrow to raise money for St Anne's Hospice (many of whom aren't regular cyclists and have bought bikes and trained specially, etc). When they get there they'll make sure that they havea couple of hours in the pub to have a few drinks, more likely than not with opposing fans. Organised by the Supporters Co-Operative. Have a quick look at the website, and their vision for working with the wider community. That happens up and down the country at football clubs.

http://www.countysupporterscoop.co.uk/
  • rick_chasey
    hmbadger wrote:
    So much Chelsea hate.

It's sad really....

Why?

*shrugs*

Phew, bit sweeping that isn;t it? In fact, it's utter garbage. For example there's 60 odd Stockport County fans cycling from Stockport to the game at Southport tomorrow to raise money for St Anne's Hospice (many of whom aren't regular cyclists and have bought bikes and trained specially, etc). When they get there they'll make sure that they havea couple of hours in the pub to have a few drinks, more likely than not with opposing fans. Organised by the Supporters Co-Operative. Have a quick look at the website, and their vision for working with the wider community. That happens up and down the country at football clubs.

http://www.countysupporterscoop.co.uk/

I'm only talking about my experience of living pretty near to Stamford bridge ;).

It's a shame when an otherwise very nice respectable chilled pub has to put on two bouncers for every match, police are everywhere, fights break out, occasionally you get a riot down Fulham road and the king's road.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Oh FFS, I clicked the link, fail. Spen is getting better at spamming his blog. :|
  • rick_chasey
    Anyway, I'd like it if chelsea were knocked out ;)

In other (old) news, van Basten is the coach of my club :).
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    dhope wrote:
    I'm not sure if football is moving on necessarily, but Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are the weakest they've been in years. City are new to winning and Spurs aren't established either.
    I can't argue about the teams seeming to be weaker, nor Spurs and City being new to winning (in recent times) but if you haven't noticed the gulf in technique and tactics between the Europeans and the British then you have either been watching different matches or not paying attention.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chasey
    daviesee wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    I'm not sure if football is moving on necessarily, but Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool are the weakest they've been in years. City are new to winning and Spurs aren't established either.
    I can't argue about the teams seeming to be weaker, nor Spurs and City being new to winning (in recent times) but if you haven't noticed the gulf in technique and tactics between the Europeans and the British then you have either been watching different matches or not paying attention.

In the champions league there's little to put them apart with the exception of Barca, and this season!
  • tailwindhome
    dhope wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Derp.

No.

This is why, as a Spurs fan, I would like Chelsea to drop out of Europe sharpish

Sorry. Your going to have to explain your thought process.

I would have thought that it's too Spurs advantage to have Chelsea in the Champions league as long as possible...
  • dhope
    I would have thought that it's too Spurs advantage to have Chelsea in the Champions league as long as possible...

Unless they end up winning it and Arsenal pip Spurs for 3rd.
    Arsenal 3rd, Spurs 4th, Chelsea 5th and winning the CL :shock:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • tailwindhome
    dhope wrote:

Unless they end up winning it and Arsenal pip Spurs for 3rd.
    Arsenal 3rd, Spurs 4th, Chelsea 5th and winning the CL :shock:

For Chelsea to win the CL they need to beat Benfica, Barca then Real (prob).

Relax.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    So much Chelsea hate.

It's sad really....

Why?

yup, circa 80 years before he was even born, they really should have considered that...

yes, i know you were being ironic, so am i

Season ticket holder here. £39 per game and quite happy with that thank you very much...
    FCN = 4