Faulty Ragley piglet frame - crack appearing - anyone else??

rybu
rybu Posts: 84
edited March 2012 in MTB general
Just a message to anyone else, has anyone else had a problem with their recently purchased Ragley Piglet???

I have found two other people with the same fault, cracking on seat tube, where it joins going down to the axle area.

Mine appears to be just starting, taking it back tuesday 20/9/11.

59229185.jpg

59229234.jpg

Ryan

Comments

• Might be similar to this ? powdercoat recall ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17201509
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • Sorry to hear that mate.....

Im in the process of getting a refund on an Mmmbop thats developed a crack in the seatpost tubing allbeit not on a weld......got to question the 'hardcore hardtail' tag tbh

either way frustrating.....

hope you get it sorted
  • rybu
    Thanks for all the replies - its a right pain.

ratty2k has the same problem, maybe he'll post up with how h's getting on.

I dont think its a paintwork issue.

New stock from hotlines arrives end of this month.

However, i cant envisage that this batch will have been checked for the fault - a weak weld due to bad positioning in the jig/clamp???

I have just got to wait now.........

Any other Piglet owners out there??

Ryan
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    There was apparently a recall on 16" Piglet frames but you have to contact the point of sale.
    Ratty2k got a refund from CRC but is still(IIRC) waiting on a reply from Ragley....it's only been about 6 weeks.
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    edited September 2011
    Yep, refunded by CRC no questions, but then again how could they? A series of failures caused by mis-reaming of the seat-tube apparently.
    Never got a reply from Ragley, not worried either TBH. Bought a Cotic instead and wish I'd bought that first!
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    One think I have learned over the years - if Ratty or Ibbo buys a new bike, it usually breaks :wink::D
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    supersonic wrote:
    One think I have learned over the years - if Ratty or Ibbo buys a new bike, it usually breaks :wink::D
    I'll have you know it's just forks with me young man 8)
  • ratty2k
    First bike I've broken. Cheeky fecker!! :lol::lol:
    My Pics !

• rybu
    emailed hotlines yesterday and had a reply waiting for me this morning:
    Hello Ryan,

The issue was that the seat tubes were reamed incorrectly and this affected a few of the 17” models of the Piglet.

This has been rectified at the factory and the stock arriving on our next delivery will be free of this defect.

Thanks for your patience on this and I hope that the replacement Piglet gives years of fun.

Best regards,

Steve Kerr

Cant say fairer than that
  • ratty2k
    Decent result, but it AFAIK wasn't just the 17's.... A lad PM'd me on another forum with the same message about the 16's...
    The frame is a lovely thing, just IMO not good enough at the end of the day. Bought my Cotic (another smallish niche brand) and have had no quality issues whatsoever... Only reason for the second BFe is some scrote relieving me of my first one.
    My Pics !

• totss
    totss Posts: 1
    Bought my Piglet in May and noticed cracking in the same area the other day. Just like yours Ryan, small cracks around the weld, and another crack developing closer to the top tube.

To the guys that have had them replaced did you contact Ragley or your point of purchase, which in my in my case is CRC.

Tim
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    your warranty is with the point of sale.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • rybu wrote:
    emailed hotlines yesterday and had a reply waiting for me this morning:
    Hello Ryan,

The issue was that the seat tubes were reamed incorrectly and this affected a few of the 17” models of the Piglet.

This has been rectified at the factory and the stock arriving on our next delivery will be free of this defect.

Thanks for your patience on this and I hope that the replacement Piglet gives years of fun.

Best regards,

Steve Kerr

Cant say fairer than that

I think you can. How about Ragley stop dishing out sub-standard frames in the first place? I have never heard of a bike company with as many QC issues across the range. Could maybe be excused with the Mk1 frames but after waiting so long to get the Mk2 stuff in the shops you'd have thought they'd made sure the standard was right. I can't believe any one still buys 'em. :o
  • got the same crack on my 18" piglet.thanks for the posts guys.
  • dogmatix
    dogmatix Posts: 1
    Same crack (but larger) in the same location on my 17" Piglet as well here. Waiting to hear back from CRC...