Garden Security Options

antohind
antohind Posts: 10
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I recently had my Bike STOLEN from my back garden I finished a ride and when I got home locked my bike in the back garden shed and I locked the gate but unfortunately my bike still got stolen.

Does anybody have a solution for this ideally a better way of securing my bike whilst it's in the shed?

hope somebody can help

Cheers

:(:(:(:(

Comments

• BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Get a ground anchor.

Put good padlocks on the shed door and grilles on the windows.

Rivet or bolt any lock hasps in or at worst, fill the screwholes. Same for door hinges.

Lock wheels to frame.

I've also thought about letting the tyres down, that way it can't be ridden off.

It's all about time - the more time it takes to nick, the less appealing it is.

Make sure bike is covered on home insurance.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    And keep a low profile- try not to advertise the fact you have a bike worth nicking in there and so give people a reson to be sniffing round your shed in the first plac.e.
  • BigJimmyB wrote:
    Get a ground anchor.

Put good padlocks on the shed door and grilles on the windows.

Rivet or bolt any lock hasps in or at worst, fill the screwholes. Same for door hinges.

Lock wheels to frame.

I've also thought about letting the tyres down, that way it can't be ridden off.

It's all about time - the more time it takes to nick, the less appealing it is.

Make sure bike is covered on home insurance.

What Ground Anchor do you use?

Thanks
  • djbarren wrote:
    Get yourself a big dog. My great Dane although very friendly and would lick you to death is very overwhelming. Considering he is 4 foot tall.
    Failing that get heavy duty padlock, change screws on door hinges to nuts and bolts (thread locked) maybe look at a wireless alarm for the shed. I have my back gate wired into the house alarm along with my shed door.
    As said above make it a real effort for them to get at your bike.
    Don't use brass pad locks as there is a way of drilling a hole in them and that opens the lock.

Cheers,
    The Wife won't let me have a dog :) thanks for the advice though... are the wireless alarms any good? i had a look into them but wasn't to sure if they could easily be disabled?
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    My mate uses something similar to this.. basically goes through the disc on either wheel, and is very, very loud (120db)... if I was a scummer thief, it would put me off.

There are cheaper versions on ebay too, just search 'disc alarm'.. 2 things to note though:

1 - it may or may not fit on your rotors, depending which ones you have.

2 - his one is very sensitive, so be sure that you're ready to lock the shed door before setting it... :)

But to echo the above, house insurance, decent locks on the door, if you have windows, protect them also.

:)
  • Stav wrote:
    My mate uses something similar to this.. basically goes through the disc on either wheel, and is very, very loud (120db)... if I was a scummer thief, it would put me off.

There are cheaper versions on ebay too, just search 'disc alarm'.. 2 things to note though:

1 - it may or may not fit on your rotors, depending which ones you have.

2 - his one is very sensitive, so be sure that you're ready to lock the shed door before setting it... :)

But to echo the above, house insurance, decent locks on the door, if you have windows, protect them also.

:)

Cheers Stav,

I will take a look at that, its put me off buying a new bike until i get this issue sorted....
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    No stress mate, I've had a fair few bikes stolen over the years, so feel your pain. The first few weren't insured, so lost about £5k in total.. I've now learnt my lesson, and all of the bikes in my shed are now nice and secure, and insured under the house insurance. :)

My buddy higly recommends the rotor lock though. His idea of security is 15 years of martial arts training, and his bike lives in his room, with the rotor alarm lock.. that bike is going nowhere! :lol:
  • Stav wrote:
    No stress mate, I've had a fair few bikes stolen over the years, so feel your pain. The first few weren't insured, so lost about £5k in total.. I've now learnt my lesson, and all of the bikes in my shed are now nice and secure, and insured under the house insurance. :)

My buddy higly recommends the rotor lock though. His idea of security is 15 years of martial arts training, and his bike lives in his room, with the rotor alarm lock.. that bike is going nowhere! :lol:

Not good that is it scum of the earth they are, i'm definately putting a lot more effort in my garden security from now on, not just my Bike but mowers and BBQ they will take anything...

im not sure if I could pursuade the misses into keeping the bike in the living room :) but I quite like the idea of the Martial Arts.....

Cheers
  • I had my old Cannondale stolen from my shed, then had a few months of repeated attempts on my new boardman.
    I had about six decent locks on it in the end - attaching to the shed, other (cheaper) bike frames, the lawnmower and a block of steel.
    A friend-of-a-friend is a gamekeeper and suggested one of these, which I was gonna get, before we just decided to move house altogether - out of Glasgow...

http://www.henrykrank.com/alarm_mine.html

Just attach to the inside of your shed doorframe, put the cable onto the door.
    Shotgun blanks are helluva loud, especially when only a few feet from your head...
    I expect the police would be called by a few folk in the area who heard it go off.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Keep it in the house
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Land mines, just remember where they are.

im in the 'keep it in the house' camp. Though appreciate the wife might not be so keen!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Some great ideas here, get a ground anchor and the biggest F Off locks you can afford. If you have to keep it in the shed, another thing to consider is getting a Baby Monitor!
    Seriously, once my kids grew up i used the monitor in the shed until we moved and i got a garage. There had been a few break ins where i used to live and these gave a bit more peace of mind. If you keep keep the baby unit with your 'baby' and the parent unit at your bedside, any untoward noises and up and at 'em!

Here's a selection
    http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay10A_61_10751_14754_-1__14054_14054_10001_14054

Though you can pick them up cheap on ebay, or maybe even for free on Freecycle or such like.
    The only problem may be if any of the neighbours have young kids and you're tuned into their frequency ! :D
  • Brian-Mc wrote:
    Some great ideas here, get a ground anchor and the biggest F Off locks you can afford. If you have to keep it in the shed, another thing to consider is getting a Baby Monitor!
    Seriously, once my kids grew up i used the monitor in the shed until we moved and i got a garage. There had been a few break ins where i used to live and these gave a bit more peace of mind. If you keep keep the baby unit with your 'baby' and the parent unit at your bedside, any untoward noises and up and at 'em!

Here's a selection
    http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay10A_61_10751_14754_-1__14054_14054_10001_14054

Though you can pick them up cheap on ebay, or maybe even for free on Freecycle or such like.
    The only problem may be if any of the neighbours have young kids and you're tuned into their frequency ! :D

Cheers Brian-Mc,

What ground Anchors would you recommend? great idea with the baby monitor :)
  • Geese.
  • I use a groud anchor i foun whilst searching the net. It can be installed in soft ground, hard ground or even Concrete.

You dont even have to dig a hole or mix concrete, it is that strong when secured in the ground it is used for securing static caravns and light aeroplane.

It is a 500mm ground anchor which is driven in to the ground, when it is fully deployed, their is no way it can be pulled up.

If you have a concrete floor you just need to drill through the concrete base so that you can drive the anchor through in to the ground below.

Take a look at the link it will explane it better than i can
    you can get them from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Instant-Groun ... 2a14142b2d
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • I use a groud anchor i foun whilst searching the net. It can be installed in soft ground, hard ground or even Concrete.

You dont even have to dig a hole or mix concrete, it is that strong when secured in the ground it is used for securing static caravns and light aeroplane.

It is a 500mm ground anchor which is driven in to the ground, when it is fully deployed, their is no way it can be pulled up.

If you have a concrete floor you just need to drill through the concrete base so that you can drive the anchor through in to the ground below.

Cheers,

Ill have a look into that it sounds great :)
  • antohind wrote:
    I use a groud anchor i foun whilst searching the net. It can be installed in soft ground, hard ground or even Concrete.

Cheers,

Ill have a look into that it sounds great :)

HI,
    Looks a Great product,

That is exactly what im looking for reasonably priced and looks easy to install, just placed order.... :)

Cheers

Super Prestige - I will post a pic when I have installed it.
  • I've got a Oxford Defiance anchor and an Oxford anchor force for my motorbike, but after looking round and reading reviews, i also got a TORC ground anchor for my bikes. I'm luck enough that i can concrete them in. The Torc is one of the best bits of kit i've invested in - Sold Secure Gold and tough as old boots. weighs over 3kg and you can fit chains of 19mm through it, or multiple smaller chains. Read the instructions to make sure you fit it properly using the supplied resin which is super tough!
    Looking at the Torc website they also do a Shed shackle that is Sold Secure Bronze. Looking at it any potential thief would need to pretty much destroy your shed to get at your bikes.

I have no experience of this, so this is purely an observation. Maybe someone else has tried one?
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php

Bikeradar did a reasonably favourable review here.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/bike-storage-systems/product/review-pragmasis-shed-shackle-9444/
  • Brian-Mc wrote:
    I've got a Oxford Defiance anchor and an Oxford anchor force for my motorbike, but after looking round and reading reviews, i also got a TORC ground anchor for my bikes. I'm luck enough that i can concrete them in. The Torc is one of the best bits of kit i've invested in - Sold Secure Gold and tough as old boots. weighs over 3kg and you can fit chains of 19mm through it, or multiple smaller chains. Read the instructions to make sure you fit it properly using the supplied resin which is super tough!
    Looking at the Torc website they also do a Shed shackle that is Sold Secure Bronze. Looking at it any potential thief would need to pretty much destroy your shed to get at your bikes.

I have no experience of this, so this is purely an observation. Maybe someone else has tried one?
    http://www.torc-anchors.com/shed-shackle.php

Bikeradar did a reasonably favourable review here.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/bike-storage-systems/product/review-pragmasis-shed-shackle-9444/

Cheers Brian,

Thanks for the advice they look pretty good products, iv ordered a ground anchor that was recomended on the previous post's it looks ideal for what i want as its descreetly fixed into the ground.

What do you think?

Cheers!