rear wheel wobble

nil1121
nil1121 Posts: 71
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I have just bought a secondhand specialized hardrock sport which i picked up cheap, the one thing i have noticed is that the rear wheel has a wobble. Is this something i can sort out myself or will it have to go to a shop to be sorted ?

I'am new to mountain biking so any help would be appreciated.

thanks
neil

Comments

• when you say wobble, do you mean the wheel has some play in it (like a nocking noise if you grab it and move left and right), or do you mean the rim is slightly bent?
  • when i grab hold of the wheel i can move it slightly from side to side.
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Is the QR skewer tight?

If it is then it sounds like the hub needs a quick service, it may be something as simple as nipping up the cones, or the bearings may be shot

Both easy enough jobs with a little knowledge and the right tools
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Depends how long it's been like that, you can just tighten it up a bit if it's cup and cone (which it probably is) but if it's been like that a while the bearings/cups/cones might be damaged. You could probably still sort it out yourself, depending largely on whether you can be bothered.
  • sorry for my ignorance but what is a QR skewer ? I am totally new to mountain biking, its been 35 years since i last messed about taking abike apart :)

I take it both of these jobs are reasonably cheap to sort out ?
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    The QR (Quick Release) is what holds the wheel on, with the lever you use to open/close it instead of the nut on the end of the axle.

Basically, just check it's done up tight and the wheel is in properly!
  • thanks for the quick replies, will have a look at it tonight and se what i can see :)

If it looks too bad will take it to the local bike shop, or will it just be easier buying a complete wheel off ebay etc ?
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    nil1121 wrote:
    will it just be easier buying a complete wheel off ebay etc ?

Definitely fix what you have - it will be much cheaper. Sounds like you just need to sort out the bearings. Even if you use a local bike shop, it wont be much.
    Or watch a few YouTube videos and learn yourself.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • If it's a Shimano hub you'll be able to adjust it with cone spanners. Otherwise it's likely to be a cartridge bearing replacement.

It's not a bad job, but if you're not the sort of person who tinkers then get a bike shop to do it.
  • It is a Shimano hub so will have a look this evening.

thanks for all the replies
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You will need some cone spanners
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I decided to take the wheel to someone who dealt with bikes, on inspection he said he had never seen a rear wheel with so much movement on the spindle and it was most probably going to be a new wheel. He said he would take it apart to see if anything could be done but doubted it.

If this is the case is it cheaper to pick up a secondhand wheel or can the cartridge be replaced ?

He said the rim is a good quality one so would be a shame to loose it.

any advise appreciated.

thanks
  • cooldad
    Would take 5 minutes to check. KaChing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • the person i have taken it to does not sell bike parts etc, he just knows about bikes so i'm hoping he is not going to rip me off.
    I have just started out on the biking journey and will have 5 bikes (3 children) to try and maintain so i have alot of learning to do :)
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    If's moving side to side and its not the QR it will be the axle loose or shot bearings, How much does this guy know about bikes? Hold the wheel in your hand, does the axle move side to side when you pull it?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • cooldad
    If it's Shimano it doesn't have cartridge bearings. Will take a minute to nip up the cones and see if the wobble goes away, 10 minutes to replace bearings and grease. (Cost approx 50p)
    Only terminal if the races have gone which is unlikely.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I believe its a shimano deore M510, not sure about the number.

when you hold the wheel you can wiggle the gears about.

thanks
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Sounds like your cassette is loose, or your hub is stripped and the cassette won't tighten on it.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • best option is to take it to a proper bike shop and get it assessed by them. Most LBS will happily quote you for free upon inspection.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)
  • just to let you know, got the wheel back last night, it had basically all come losse so it was all stripped down and cleaned and re-assembled, cost £5 :D
    i would just like to thank all you guys for your input