What grease for wheel bearings

add595
add595 Posts: 196
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello all.

What type of grease is best for wheel bearings?

I have read a lot about 'marine' grease being best, provided it is not high temperature stuff.

Would something like this be ok? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/400218544982

Ta!
2009 Giant Trance X5
Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
Various other parts 'n' projects

Comments

• jon1993
    jon1993 Posts: 596
    Yes, that would be fine to use although due to the grease being reasonably thick they do give a fair amount of resistance and can be noticeable especially in the cold. although due to being thicker it will give longer bearing life. Also other than the grease used also think about the fill within the bearing all of which is a balance between resistance and bearing life. I belive theres a fue things on youtube about this if you have a look about.
    I run my tour bike wheels with the same type of grease on around a 75% fill this year and lasted 6000 miles in all weathers and still no signs of letting up.
    Scott Spark 30 carbon custom build
    Giant Faith 2 DH bike
    Boardman pro 2011
    Boardman team carbon 2010
    Carrera kracken 2009
    Specialized fsr pro 2009
    Haro custom build
    Cannondale custom build
  • add595
    add595 Posts: 196
    I was thinking the thickness, thus rolling resistance, could be an issue.

I have some moly (black) grease that I forgot I had. Might use this instead. I have used it on my bikes before actually, without giving thought to whether it is really suitable or not!

A quick Google says that it is good stuff to use. Thoughts?
    2009 Giant Trance X5
    Kinesis Decade Virsa custom build
    Pinnacle Peak 700c hybrid road rat
    Various other parts 'n' projects
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    The formula hubs I had used a green grease that looked like motorex bike grease 2000 and the stuff on shimano bbs. I have just rebuilt them using keenol marine grease and havent noticed any difference in terms of resistance etc.