Shorts and leggings? eh

high_tower
high_tower Posts: 39
edited December 2015 in Road beginners
Afternoon,

this might seem a really bone question but I've seen quite a few riders now wearing cycling leggings with cycling shorts over the top. Are the leggings padded too or are they just completely unpadded?

Comments

• merak
    merak Posts: 323
    Could be leg warmers which stop just above the bottom of the shorts. Could be tights which if being worn with shorts would be unpadded.
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    My longs aren't padded, so I wear shorts with them. One reason to wear shorts over longs is that shorts are usually cheaper to replace.

Or, as the other poster said, they might be leg warmers (or, in the case of a poster elsewhere in this forum, arm warmers).
  • http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=262

Being an MTB'er, Endura (for example) offer the tights with or without the pad....

The advantage of without is that you can always wear the baggies (with padded liner) over the top.

Advantages of wearing tights
    1) Keeps you knees warm.
    2) Helps slightly if you crash.
    3) Compression for muscle recovery.

with additional for MTB'ers
    1) Stops you getting stung from stinging nettles
    2) Reduces the liklihood of gettiing ticks or being bitten.

Disadvantages
    1) Can restruct movement slightly
    2) you can get a sweaty back if you layer up too much.

Matt
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Leg warmers or knee warmers for roadies!

Means you can wear the same expensive bibs all year round without having interfering extra layers under/over the chamois.

Before I owned some I always thought they must be difficult to keep up, but if you get the right size and put the top edges underneath the thigh grips of the shorts they're completely fine.
  • snowley
    snowley Posts: 149
    I have some leggings with padding in and they are extremely comfortable and just add that bit of warmth when the weather is colder.
  • Above 15 to show your knees!
  • nhoj
    nhoj Posts: 129
    Bloody hell. We must be made of sterner stuff up north. Above 15 and we're getting the barbcue out.
  • Above 18 degrees and I'm in shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

Below 16 degrees and I'm in shorts and legs warmers. And a long sleeve base layer and long sleeve jersey.

Below 5 degrees and I'm in leg warmers, shorts, tights, long sleeve base layer, sort sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, gilet, two pairs of socks, overshoes, two pairs of gloves, scullcap, cotton cap, scarf, buff and ... I think that's it. Oh, and a fresh layer of Vaseline on the lips every so often.

God. Talking about winter clothing already. :(
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    White Line wrote:
    Above 18 degrees and I'm in shorts and a short sleeve jersey.

Below 16 degrees and I'm in shorts and legs warmers. And a long sleeve base layer and long sleeve jersey.

Below 5 degrees and I'm in leg warmers, shorts, tights, long sleeve base layer, sort sleeve jersey, long sleeve jersey, gilet, two pairs of socks, overshoes, two pairs of gloves, scullcap, cotton cap, scarf, buff and ... I think that's it. Oh, and a fresh layer of Vaseline on the lips every so often.

So in Glasgow it's the final option all year is it?

Don't get shorts over tights if the tights aren't padded.
  • White Line wrote:

What do you wear when it gets Really cold?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    I find this works well for my winter rides.

0286537_l.jpg

:D
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • White Line wrote:

What do you wear when it gets Really cold?

haha !

It was fun commuting when it got down to - 10 :)

I have started to carry a pair of leg warmers in my commuting bag, it was 6 degrees the other morning so i felt justified in wearing them .
    Still in SS jersey and i bung on a windproof at these temperatures, mainly because its dark at that time and i want the reflectives and cannot be bothered to carry a base layer as well as a jacket.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    If you wear unpadded tights under bibshorts does it not negate one of the positives of wearing bibs, that there are no seams to chafe? Or are tights designed so that there are no seams around there to chafe?

FYI i wear bibshorts with rowing leggings on top at 5 deg and below. I'm a filthy chimaera of lycra goodness!
  • Alibran
    Alibran Posts: 370
    I wear running tights over cycling shorts (running tights generally being MUCH cheaper to replace than the cycling equivalents, and also cheaper than cycling shorts). The coldest I've cycled in was a 6am commute at -2C, and I found shorts, thermal base layer, lightweight running tights and long sleeve jersey, and a windproof jacket kept me confortably warm. The layering meant I could just go without the base layer on the way home from work, when the temperature was considerably warmer.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    HAPPY FOURTH BIRTHDAY THREAD!!