MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Wow! That was so close to being a lot worse especially for the 2 customers waiting at the till. From the look of the rubber on the floor she kept her foot down for a while too
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Women drivers, eh?

In all seriousness, I think after a certain age drivers should be regularly retested, every two years perhaps.
    As a Yank, there is every chance that she has been behind the wheel for 70 years, so has lots of experience, but getting confused between the stop and go pedals (probably driving an automatic) is bloody dangerous.

I hope she never drives again. She (and the people in the shop) had a lucky escape once. Would she be that lucky again?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • This is the problem with automatic cars, if she'd been driving "a stick" as they say over there, she would have just stalled...

My grandad, in a moment of stupidity decided to reverse his automatic car out of the drive without actually getting into the car. You can simply slip the lever into reverse in an auto car and it starts moving. For some reason he thought he would be able to walk alongside it and slip it out of gear when it was out of the drive... However he couldn't keep up and it reversed straight across the road, through a wall and into the garden of the house opposite...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ...decided to reverse his automatic car out of the drive without actually getting into the car...

I don't think that it is clearly enough stipulated in the Highway Code that you need to be in the car to actually drive it!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    In all seriousness, I think after a certain age drivers should be regularly retested, every two years perhaps.
    No, make drivers do a full re-test after any at fault collision.

Re do theory test every 5 years, after a non-fault collision or 7 points, a fail means a full re-test.

Increase it to every two years at 60.

Until we have cars that can take human error out of the equation.

My Grandma did something like this, wrong pedal after swerving to avoid a bus, into a telegraph pole which fell on a house. It was the last time she drove.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.