Women's hybrid with disc brakes, sub £600?

jasonhill72
jasonhill72 Posts: 18
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
My partner is in the market for a commuting hybrid bike with disc brakes, to travel from Tooting to Clapham on a daily basis, all year round.

Looking for something light (more road based, than mtb) with straight forks (no canal towpaths in Wandsworth!) and female-friendly geometry, with an upright position.

The Specialized Ariel looks nice, but don't really need those suspension forks.

Is there anything that fits the bill out there?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Not sure how compatible 'road based' is with 'upright'.

But what about this for £499

Also, MTB doesn't have to equal heavy, if she's wanting an upright position it might be better. Look at the Boardman MTB 'R's, essentially an MTB with rigid forks and slick tyres.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks for that, will take a look. Definitely looking for something with less rolling resistance - 700c x 30/32 as opposed to 700c x 45. I'm perhaps hasty in assuming all MTBs are going to be heavy. I had a steel GT Tequesta with slicks on, years ago and it was a bit of an elephant. So much choice out there!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    The Boardman MTB Comp R weighs 25.2lbs, vs 23.7lbs for that hybrid. Just for reference, Boardman do an MTB HT, with suspension, that weighs 23.8lbs, they're not all heavy, though at a certain price point, MTBs tend to weigh more than an equally priced road bike.

BTW, the only reason I'm suggesting a Boardman is because I had one and was very pleased with it, and they're tough to beat for value for money, other bikes are available! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • In the end saw a good online deal at Chain Reaction Cycles on a Kona Dr Lisa with straight forks and disc brakes, so let's see how it goes! I'm handing over a motorcycle chain that would do damage to Goliath, so hopefully it'll be hers for a good time in the future as well...