The single London cycle map

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Looks great, would love to see this happen.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Sounds good, but I'm confused. Evidently this chap has already produced such a map and public-spiritedly has made it available online, so why a petitiion to debate in parliament the need for something that already exists?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'd want this to be signed and implement on the streets, carrying a printed of all of London isnt much use.

I'm guessing its needs the attention for TFL and all of the surrounding boroughs to implement and the link appears to not even be a petition on the parliament website, odd.
  • Ian.B wrote:
    Sounds good, but I'm confused. Evidently this chap has already produced such a map and public-spiritedly has made it available online, so why a petitiion to debate in parliament the need for something that already exists?

It's all about colour coded signage, breadcrumbs etc.
    If Parker’s map were usable right now, there would be no need for a campaign! The campaign is lobbying for adequate signage and markings on the streets, so that cyclists in London can follow coloured routes corresponding to Parker’s design. The sheer groundbreaking bolt-from-the-blue (or green or red or orange) brilliance of Parker’s ‘compass colour system’ is that, with adequate signage on the streets, cyclists would always find a long straight cycle route marked with a single colour leading them in the general direction of wherever they wanted to go.

http://bit.ly/qI9ILy
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I am confused, and cant make head nor tail of the greater london map.

There are too many routes, doesnt show which are roads or paths/cycleways etc and its just a big confusing mess. I guess if you know the areas well then you would be able to work it out but then if you knew that, you probably wouldnt need the map.

Also, what is the significance of the red, orange, green and blue for the routes?

If I wanted to get from Richmond to Canada Water, its a bit of a mess trying to work out the best route for example, and I would never be able to follow it on the ground without signage.

The petition is for the signage I think - this would be a massive help but I still think that less routes would make a simpler map and cheaper to do the signage and easier to follow.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    OK, so it's not about having a map so much as having more signed cycle routes, and then mapping them
  • Ian.B wrote:
    OK, so it's not about having a map so much as having more signed cycle routes, and then mapping them

Like the tube map, it's about the integration of signage with a map that is sufficiently intuitive for people to use easily.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Currently, unless you’re planning a short local ride, you’ll need to check up to 14 folding cycle maps covering London’s different areas. Then, once you’re on your way, you’ll need to remember all the street names and directions – sometimes hundreds – for your journey because the signs on the London Cycle Network aren’t regular or informative enough to allow you to follow them as you go along.

Makes sense to me.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Didn't they already do this in Edinburgh?

http://www.thebikestation.org.uk/innertube-map/
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.