First service - what will they do?

adrenalinemunki
adrenalinemunki Posts: 213
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
My good lady and I bought our new spesh bikes a couple of months back, and you are entitled to a free service within three months...

Question is, what are they realistically going to do and is it stuff I could just do myself (I would prefer to learn and get my hands dirty but probably don't have all the right tools etc...)

The only things that I've noticed could do with tweaking are:

1) sometimes when you apply the front brake, the wheel shifts sideways

2) the brakes squeak sometimes

3) If I gun it, the bike might change gear and back again unprompted

But those are issues not general service items... so what are they going to do and what is involved?

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Readjust brakes, gears, check everthing is nice and tight, all the issues you describe should be sorted with your free service.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • so you reckon better to let them do it this time round? learn next time?
  • They offer the first check up as they know that sometimes some things need adjustment after use.

When assembling the bike the shop can't realistically go for a long ride on it to check it is working fine.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I used to say "we check that things that should be going round are, and things that shouldn't be aren't", which basically covers it. It was a 30 minute check, tweak the barell adjusters, bolt check, wheels through the jig. Done!

Still got some people bringing bikes back after a year and expecting a full transmission change, brake bleed and new BB FOC :roll:
  • The gears shifting is probably down to the cables stretching. Usually happens within a dew weeks of getting new cables.

wheel is probably just the cones need tightening.

as for the brake squeal.... any other bike i'd say clean the discs, sand the pads and check ever ythings tight but some of the rockhoppers have issues with this.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp
    24/Seven Deviant.
    Orange Diva (for the bint)