On One Pompino / Pompetamine

sheeponwheels
sheeponwheels Posts: 8
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi all, wanting to build myself a singlespeed as an all-year-round commuter and I'm looking at the On One Pompetamine frame due to the 35mm tyre clearance for my marathon winters in the cold weather.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOPOMPET/on-one-pompetamine-cro-mo-urban-frame

Anyone had any experience of this frame or the Pompino?
FCN = 8/9 Black Tourer

Comments

• You might struggle with the 35mm marathon winters.

But an awesome bike.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I am in love with my Pompino and run it with 700x28c tyres. Spec reckons on 32mm being the max, but I reckon that there would be tolerance for 35mm if you forwent mudguards.

For the money, they are wonderful frames. I get on well with the geometry and they are really easy to build up. Only thing that I would say, is that it can be quite expensive building a bike from scratch (I spent about £800 on my Pomp and that included quite a bit of stuff salvaged out of my spares box). There are loads of cheap off the peg options, but that's not as much fun and your bike will have less "soul".

Would heartily recommend.
  • It'll depend on the gearing and chain wear. This is mine with 32mm cx tyres:

4171744876_5990a91162_z.jpg

Had to trim the stubble off first. With a different gearing or 1/2 link chain you might be okay.
  • Gussio
    ^ Be more tolerance if you gave the frame a clean ;)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Looks like the tyre is on the wrong way round too, judging by the arrow on the tyre.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I've got a Pompino which is just approaching its first birthday, and it's been great.

I run 28mm Marathons with SKS mudguards, all fits fine (once you've gone through the usual initial SKS fitting palaver). I also used a second set of Secu-clips to attach the rear 'guard stays to facilitate rear wheel removal.

I bought mine ready built, £400 special offer, but I up-specced a couple of parts and added saddle, pedals, guards myself.
    Misguided Idealist
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Looks like the tyre is on the wrong way round too, judging by the arrow on the tyre.
    Gussio wrote:

Lol, you londoners don't have a clue about non-tarmac riding do you :P

It's dirty because it's a cheap coaching hack and the tyre is on the wrong way round for a reason... It works better for my off-road riding.
  • Gussio
    Don't talk to me about fitting SKS mudguards........
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Nah, I think thats a "This Way Up" sign.
  • notsoblue
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Gussio wrote:

Lol, you londoners don't have a clue about non-tarmac riding do you :P

It's dirty because it's a cheap coaching hack and the tyre is on the wrong way round for a reason... It works better for my off-road riding.

Hmmm, so whats JZed's excuse then?
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Ah. So does this mean my newly-ordered Pompetamine Versa will struggle to take the 35mm Marathon Winters I've bought?

New-new bike required?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    notsoblue wrote:

Hmmm, so whats JZed's excuse then?

He really wanted grey but they where out of stock?
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • I really fancy the Pompetamine Versa 11 but they don't seem to have any Large frames in 'that blue' at the moment
  • notsoblue
    I really fancy the Pompetamine Versa 11 but they don't seem to have any Large frames in 'that blue' at the moment

Me too, lovely bike:

CBOOPOMPETVERSA11_P1.jpg

I'm starting to get desperate for a fast tourer so anything fairly svelte with a steel frame and disc brakes is looking pretty attractive right now.
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    edited September 2011
    I'm waiting for more info on the Pompblingamine. Ti, discs, tire clearance and choice between geared and singlespeed/hubgears. Ran an Alfine 8speed on the District for a year but went back to singlespeed because of the weight and because somehow the Alfine sucked the 'fun' out of the bike. Great for riding in the winter though. Rode through all weather and only washed the bike in March :oops: . Didn't skip a beat.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Libraio wrote:
    I'm waiting for more info on the Pompblingamine. Ti, discs, tire clearance and choice between geared and singlespeed/hubgears. Ran an Alfine 8speed on the DIstrict for a year but went back to singlespeed because of the weight and because somehow the Alfine sucked the 'fun' out of the bike. Great for riding in the winter though. Rode through al weather and only washed the bike in March :oops: . Didn't skip a beat.

Oo that's pretty.

My stable has a couple of extra bikes now, but the Dizzy is still my go-to bike of choice for fun and simplicity. Fast as hell too.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Libraio wrote:
    I'm waiting for more info on the Pompblingamine. Ti, discs, tire clearance and choice between geared and singlespeed/hubgears. Ran an Alfine 8speed on the DIstrict for a year but went back to singlespeed because of the weight and because somehow the Alfine sucked the 'fun' out of the bike. Great for riding in the winter though. Rode through al weather and only washed the bike in March :oops: . Didn't skip a beat.

I have the versa pro with the 11 speed Alfine. I am struggling with it a bit . I find it,not surprisingly, rather heavy but sadly rather harsh too.I am trying to identify why in hope its not the frame or perhaps the hubs and i am going to try a change of tyres and seat post to see if things improve. I am using Duranos at the moment. I do love it when i get it up to speed, the hub is working more or less flawlessly and the brakes, especially now they have worn in a bit, are fab. Very different to the calipers on my sl pro and a little embaressing on one occassion already when i grabbed the levers a little too hard :oops:
    But to echo Libraio, it not yet "fun" to ride.
    Another well know cycling site have it in for review, though with different tyres, stem and handlebar at least to the standard model i have,and i wait with interest to see what they say.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    It would be an even better bike if it had belt drive ........... or if chain a full chain guard to keep all the crud and muck off it. Plus eyelets/bosses to mount racks front and rear and it would be the ultimate low maintenance commuting/touring bike. But wheel to frame clearances need to be a tad more generous so at least 35C tyres and mudguards can be fitted without difficulty.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Not always. It's not uncommon for multi-surface tyres to have two arrows for different uses.

My MTB tyres have one arrow for the rear wheel and another for the front. Different wheels grip differently.

I've also seen tyres with one arrow for trail and another for tarmac.