Avid where do I start!!!

BrianB72
BrianB72 Posts: 2
edited September 2011 in MTB general
I'm hoping to get some advice, maybe from a mod, about a little issue I'm having with my Avid Elixir CR brakes.
I bought a these the start of last year, so they were 2010, after about 6 rides (mainly cross country) the front started to leak fluid. So I took the bike to a local bike shop who said that the seals had probably gone (now the shop are an approved Avid supplier). They had had numerous sets returned for the same problem.
"great" I thought but oh no!! as they are still under warranty they said I should return them to who I purchased them from! So I rang the shop who said I needed the proof of purchase, which I didn't have but could identify the exact day I bought the items. So I rang them back and ended up speaking to the shop manager who said that "due to the amount of hassle they had had with the product they were no longer prepared to stock them, and he was very sorry but could only offer me a credit on the brakes but not the full amount.
So I spoke to My local shop and they said if I could get the importer to supply the seals they would sort the problem out for around £20.
They put me in touch with Fisher outdoor products, at first I e-mailed them asking them to help, left it a few days no response. I then called only to spend just short of an hour being pushed from pillar to post and then got cut off!
I managed to contact SRAM in the states who called me the very next day he was very sympathetic and offered to help should contacting the importer prove fruitless. I'm now regretting telling him I'd made contact with the UK guys and felt sure they would be more than happy to help!!

So SIX weeks down the line my bike is still off the road!! I have STILL to actually talk to the brand manager at Fisher ( all I get from them is I have to speak to the brand manager) who in the space of one day and 4 phone calls was told they were in a meeting then away from their desk, probably at lunch and then they had gone on holiday!!!

I build bespoke bikes for people and was convinced that Avid where the way forward!! based on my own dealings with the importer and the brand I will be sticking with Hope for all my future builds, had I not spent so much on my brakes I'd have binned the rotten lot and gone back to Hope. In my eons of riding I have had Hope brakes on all my bikes and on all my builds I have used Hope and never had a problem with any of them about 20 sets in total.

has anyone else ever suffered this amount of hassle with either Avid products or the importer?!?!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Huge annoyances and greivances with Avid here too (SRAM in it's entirety, to be honest).
    Go Shimano - it's the one true fait :lol:
  • Can I ask why, if you are waiting so long just for brakes, you didn't just accept the offer of part refund and buy some other brakes?

Makes more sense than waiting so long for nothing, but I know a few people who have had problems with Avid, and it seems a regular occurance.
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Similar experiences here, the problem (IMO) is with Fishers not the products they choose to distribute which are generally reliable.

I managed to round off a bolt in some Juicy brake levers and after a lot of searching my LBS gave the number for Fishers to see if they could help.

The conversation went a bit like this -

"Hello?"
    "Hello is that Fishers?"
    "Yeah, how did you get this number?"
    "My bike shop, they said you might be able to send me a bolt for my Juicy's?"
    "No we dont do that and they shouldnt be giving you this number, its not for the public"
    "Really? Thats nice but what about my bolt?"
    "You will need to buy a new brake"
    "To replace one bolt?"
    "Yeah we dont sell just the bolts"
    "Thats a bit reckless, maybe I will choose a different brand of brake?"
    "Yeah well, maybe you will"

They also quoted 8 to 10 weeks to carry out a warrenty job on my RS Pikes, which turned out to be replacing 1 o-ring, when asked what I should do without my forks for that long the guy said "Dunno, havnt you got any spares?"

Cant move round my place for spare forks. :roll: Seems whoever chooses what to import is on the button but they employ arrogant bellends to answer the phone.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Hmm, I sent a destroyed (mostly my fault) X9 shifter back to them and they'd sent me a new version within the week. They were also pretty quick (although not superfast I admit).

There is hope....Try ukbikestore, they have a lot of spares, Somewhere on the fisher website you can find out what the part code is and have a look around the interweb. Also, can't you just buy the bolt from a hardware store? Try and find a proper job local one with a nerdy old man who ll get all excited looking it up in the catalogue....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You rode the bike 6 times in 18 months? Maybe they just got bored to death.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    ddraver wrote:
    There is hope........

Yes there is, and im very pleased with the Mono Minis I replaced my Juicy's with!

The pinch bolt on Juicy's is pretty unique, I think you can get them nowadays but when I looked it was all doom and gloom.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fisher and SRAM do not have to help you here - this is why they have retailers ;-). And this is the people you should be pushing, the shop you bought the brake from. They have admitted they are faulty. They will not replace or repair, so you are entitled to be compensed, usually a partial refund (you have used the product for a few months, this does not affect your rights). However a credit note you do not have to accept. Go for the cash!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Sonic's right actually, I sent it back to CRC who sent it to fisher.....

Fair point!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • cooldad wrote:
    You rode the bike 6 times in 18 months? Maybe they just got bored to death.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Stiff_Orange
    Stiff_Orange Posts: 218
    edited September 2011
    Have you heard of a thing called the internet and a little website called google?

You go to www.google.co.uk and then type in what you are looking for.

e.g. avid elixir spares

and bingo it finds somebody that stocks them

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/13 ... lixir.html

£6.99 for some new seals and can be despatched on Monday

Sorry to be sarcastic, but you spent more time writing a moaning email than it would have taken to do a bit of research and bought the product.

I too hate Avid brakes... Don't need tools to replace the pads in Juicy 5's???...My a**e !!!!

Formula R1's for me on all my bikes now.
  • Another maiden post to do nothing but rant...

Unbelievable..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Another maiden post to do nothing but rant...

Unbelievable..
    Isn't that what maidens do?
  • I've never had issues with fishers. Maybe your lbs doesn't get on with them.

Our stuff is always dealt with promptly and to the satisfaction of all concerned.