Fox Float R won't inflate!

Gav888
Gav888 Posts: 946
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Got a Fox Float R shock on my bike and I just went out to adjust the pressure using the correct pump and it won't inflate.

The gauge registers air pressure but when I pump it won't go up, the lever refuses to go in as if there is something blocking it. But taking the pump off I can pump freely ok and I can press the valve in the shock and air comes out ok?

Any idea what I can do?
Cycling never gets any easier, you just go faster - Greg LeMond

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Sounds like you have a low pressure pump, meaning it's very difficult to get the right pressure.
  • Gav888
    The pump worked perfecty before just won't now. Is there a valve or something inside the shock that could block it?
  • Anonymous
    The only valve (that matters) will be the one that the pump screws on to.
    Is the valve on the pump damaged? Maybe it's not depressing the valve core on the shock.
  • Gav888
    Not sure, I could try putting something in there to push the valve to see if that works....
  • Gav888
    Didn't work, but the pump registered pressure so it is pushing it in. It's completely flat now though as I pushed the valve a few times!
  • Anonymous
    Gav888 wrote:
    Didn't work, but the pump registered pressure so it is pushing it in. It's completely flat now though as I pushed the valve a few times!
    Pump may well be registering the pressure in it's own hose.
  • Gav888
    It was over 100psi when I first screwed it on... im now thinking the valve might be faultly though, its letting air out but not in. Need to find a valve key to take it out and try again....

Ps, cheers for your assistance so far, was hoping for an early morning ride but not looking hopeful at the moment :cry:
  • Anonymous
    Gav888 wrote:
    It was over 100psi when I first screwed it on... im now thinking the valve might be faultly though, its letting air out but not in. Need to find a valve key to take it out and try again....
    I don't follow at all anymore.
    Your shock has 100 psi in it, but you can't put any air in?

Can you please describe, step by step, what's happened?
  • Gav888
    Ok, shock felt ok this evening but wanted to check the PSI to make sure it was ok. Screwed in the pump and it was a little low, like 100psi so tried to pump it up and it refused to pump, the lever didnt go in.

So I unscrewed it to check if anything was blocking it, the pump pumps ok, ie air comes out, I pushed the valve in the shock and air comes out of that, tried pumping again and it wont go, I can screw it in (i know you are only supposed to screw until pressure is there) and nothing, you pump it and you can now push the level fully in and hold about 50psi on the pump but its not going into the shock.

It seems to me the valve is faulty and wont let air in but does let it out.
  • Anonymous
    Right, ok. From that, I would suggest that the screw-on valve on the pump is faulty.

It sounds as though it's not engaging the shock's valve correctly when it's screwed on. This means the shock's valve does not open to receive air, and all you're doing is pressurising the pump's own hose.
    Try connecting the pump to a tyre, and seeing if it exhibits the same behaviour. If the pump's valve is faulty, then you won;t be able to inflate the tyre, either, despite the much lower pressures.
  • Gav888
    Will do, give me a min :)
  • Gav888
    Ok, used the shock pump to pump up an inner tube, didnt work. Tried to use my track pump but it wont go on the valve on the shock as its too compact, so tried an OLD long thin pump my mum used to have, air was going in the shock, but only a tiny amount as the pump hasnt got the muscle...

So appears to be a faulty pump! I will try and borrow a mates and see if that works.

Cheers for your help :)