Cracking noises on front end.

ricardo_smooth
ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
edited October 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Right, bit miffed/hoping it's not going to cost as much as I think it might do!

Basically i get singular cracking noises either when i've got weight over the front end going reasonably quick downhill, or doing an endo I can replicate the same cracking noise.

I've replaced :-
Headset
Stem
Bars
Full fork service

The sound is not related to braking force and the headset is tight enough/not over tightened.

Forks are Rockshox reba SL's (2010)
Frame FSr XC pro 2012

I'm hoping that there may be something else I can try other than the forks being knackered or the frame?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are the forks bottoming out?
  • no, deffo not, I can make the sound with 0 psi or 150 psi in the forks, it makes little difference (my initial thoughts led to the headset because of this)
  • what disc attachments do you have.

Mymate has some 6 bolt adaptors and the disc can be twisted back a few degrees once settled under breaking - that makes a funny noise when it settles back.
  • it's not braking related as it makes the noise if the brakes are applied or not.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Handlebar/stem interface needs a little grease?
  • Handlebar/stem interface needs a little grease?

tried it. no difference
  • Anonymous
    So it's not braking, headset, stem, or handlebar related. What the hell else is left on the front of the bike?
    Frame? Front hub bearings?
  • Danlube
    Danlube Posts: 454
    Using lock on grips? Checked to see if they coming loose?
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • Front hub is new too, I'll try the lock on idea as I've got a brand new set in my box. when I replaced the headset I checked the frame thoroughly and nothing was suspicious. As I say I'm miffed by it all! :?
  • Anonymous
    Sure it's the front then?
  • Definitely, tested a whole host of things/ ways to isolate the problem.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cables rubbing on each other. Can make crackly noises.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Definitely, tested a whole host of things/ ways to isolate the problem.
    With no due respect, you've obviously not done a great job of it, or you wouldn't be so stumped :lol:
  • :lol: Believe me it's taken me 3 days to finally admit defeat! I bet its the bloody lock ons after all this messing!
  • Anonymous
    Might be your knees. I know mine make a racket.
  • cooldad wrote:
    Cables rubbing on each other. Can make crackly noises.

Tried those too!

To be fair my knees are also a possibility! :lol:
  • Si1988
    Si1988 Posts: 158
    You checked your fork crown race? you havent mentioned it yet, I'd imagine if it wasnt seated correctly it'd kick up a fuss.
  • Si1988 wrote:
    You checked your fork crown race? you havent mentioned it yet, I'd imagine if it wasnt seated correctly it'd kick up a fuss.

checked/changed with the new headset and definitely seated correctly
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Fork bushings? lock front brake and rock bike forward backwards checking for movement between stanchions and lowers.

Fork Steerer/Crown interface? (Where the steerer joins the crown) its a one time press fit so if its that its new CSU time.

Head tube weld failure?
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    i used to get a clicking when turning the the bars one way or the other

checked the entire front end of the bike, nothing wrong, untill i took off the shifters, no clicking?

bit of grit, where the cables enter ( the adjusters) washed out with a bit of wd40, clicking gone
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • If the front wheel is newly built I wonder if there is an issue with spoke tension, or the spokes just untwisting and settling after the build? Also try a dab of lube at points where the spokes cross in case that is where your noise is coming from.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and vice versa).
  • I had this once and found I was riding on bubblewrap.

Maybe the noise is coming from the rear of the bike, it's very easy to mishear what component is creaking. Have you tried sitting someone else on the bike while you look for whatever is making the noise?
  • deffo the front.... deffo not the wheel (had the clunking noises of spokes settling when the wheel was built in August). I think it's fork related tbh. dunno if its bushings as they dont have play in them, but it could be minimal causing it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Strip and service the fork - might be something loose in the air chamber.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Strip and service the fork - might be something loose in the air chamber.

Done it already and all came up fine, after dialogue with TF tuned today (can't thank them enough) it seems that the forks are fine too.

Had to 'give in' and take it to the LBS with suspected intrinsic frame failure....so we will see once they've had a good going over of it and if necessary sent it off to specialized.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    When you say cracking noises, do you mean cracking noises or cracking noises as in "cracking cheese Grommit?"
  • MarcBC wrote:
    When you say cracking noises, do you mean cracking noises or cracking noises as in "cracking cheese Grommit?"
    I mean whatever your probably Intoxicated mind was thubkin at the time to make yourself giggle. The limes and string are in the crudcatcher........your coat is next to the door.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    MarcBC wrote:
    I mean whatever your probably Intoxicated mind was thubkin at the time to make yourself giggle. The limes and string are in the crudcatcher........your coat is next to the door.

:roll:
    Having read thay you have apparently tried everything that could cause the problem and then booked the bike into your LBS, I mistakenly though you would not mind a lighthearted response.

Hey Ho, note to self, don't try to raise a smile on a Ricardo thread. :wink:
  • MarcBC wrote:
    MarcBC wrote:

:roll:
    Having read thay you have apparently tried everything that could cause the problem and then booked the bike into your LBS, I mistakenly though you would not mind a lighthearted response.

Hey Ho, note to self, don't try to raise a smile on a Ricardo thread. :wink:
    It was taken light hearted.........CC response is autonomous! and the tumbleweed that followed the punch line :lol:
  • For those who are wondering/replied to this thread, turns out I was hasty in ruling out the forks. It was the steerer to fork crown joint that had started to fail. LBS had my bike 2 weeks as the forks were sent off to Sram for warranty. basically everything but the lowers/motion control assembly was replaced. No more noise, so I can finally get out on the thing at the weekend!