Old Shimano chainset and new chain compatibility

Jamieg285
Jamieg285 Posts: 98
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm running an old (17 years) chainset that has 'use IG chains only' written on it.

Am I OK running a new HG chain, as I assume that this is newer and better.

Comments

• Good question.

Not sure it would make too much difference. It's the rings that matter - not the chasis.

THere's only one way to find out.... have a try and see if it works ok or find an IG chain of that era.

OOO - what do you have at the back?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    After 17 years, those chainrings will be worn out to oblivion. Any newer chain will completely fail to mesh, and cause badly skipping gears.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not necessarily true. I put a new chain on my 1988 Mighty Biopace chainset (18 speed) and it worked great. Original block as well.
    They don't make them like they used to. As I like to tell myself.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • At the moment everything on the bike is original. The front is an Alivio MC-12, which looks awkward to change due to a 47.5 chainline (all the current Shimano stuff seems to be 50), an Acera front mech, with Alivio on the rear. Not sure exactly what the cassette would be, assuming Alivio, with 11-28 range.

The cassette is definitely toast and I have a new HG-30 to go replace it with and have ordered a HG50 chain. I'm hoping the chainset will be OK and will test fit the chain before use.

Any recommendations on compatible chainsets if I need to go that route?
  • Detachable rings?
  • Detachable rings?

Yes, but they're 5 arm ones and I've had no luck finding any replacements yet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    plenty of 5-arm rings on CRC.
  • Maybe I'm not understanding it properly, but I don't think those fit.

As far as I can see, all 3 of my rings are held in with one set of 5 bolts, on a 68mm BCD. (Based on 40mm between adjacent bolts)

The ones I've found on CRC are listed as CD or ATB, which have 2 sets of bolts, none of which have the same BCD.

I am out of luck?