How much to build up a frame and fork set?

FoldingJoe
FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm going to put up my Airnimal for sale, as I don't need it for the folding capabilities I thought I would.

To replace it I'm looking at steel framed road bikes.

Been taking a look at Kona Honky Tonk, or a Condor Italia that is in the FS section (although this is not steel it is a lovely bike).

My other option is to by an old steel frame and build it up.

Considering I could pick up a second hand Kona or the Condor for around £500, how much do you think I would have to spend on parts to build a bike from the frame and forks up?

I don't think it's going to be worthwhile, which is a shame as there are some lovely steel frames up for sale.

Cheers,
FJ
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It depends upon the spec you want and whether you'll be buying from new. groupsets aren't cheap, neither are wheels, add in finishing components such as seat post, bars, stem etc and you'll very quickly be knocking on the door of £6-700 or more. It's not until you look into building up you own frameset that you realise what good value a complete bike represents
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I agree. The only way to build up a frame cheaply is to go single speed. I got a mountain bike frame for a tenner but am struggling to get the bits cheaply enough to make it worthwhile. If you're buying a used complete bike this is the most economical. I would just urge you to do what you can to ensure it's not a stolen bike.
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    I did this a couple of years ago (see bike in sig). You can probably do it for ~£400 unless you have a large spares box, in which case it'll be cheaper.

Fork + frame: ~£100
    Wheels ~£100 (eg Shimano RS10/PlanetX model B)
    Bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, bar tape (some second hand bits) ~£100
    Second hand groupset eg. Shimano Sora ~£100
    + Tyres, tubes etc.

But the cost does add up very quickly.
  • MErlin have 105 groupset for £280 at the moment (5600).
    I'd budget £100 for a decent pair of wheels (PX model B) and another £100 for finishing kit (bars, stem, saddle, seatpost, tape). Another £30-£40 for tyres & tubes
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Always loads of nice steel framed bikes for sale on LFGSS. Not just SS or FG either.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    Bike is going to be a commuter, so dont want to spec it too high.

Tiagra probably a minimum for groupset.

Seen a nice Viner frame on eBay. Anyone had any experiece of those?

Decent frames?
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    LiT has a Viner, but probably a little overspecced for your needs.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo