For kindle owners... a recommendation (free book)

too slow to go
too slow to go Posts: 89
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Youve-Gone-This ... B004L62DJU

I`m half way through and cant put the book down, great story so far.

"When Danny Bent cycled 15,000 kilometres from the UK to India to raise money for ActionAid, it was a decision that took twenty years and one minute. For twenty years he had wanted to do something to raise money for charity. The one minute was when as their teacher he was put on the spot by his pupils and declared that the means was by bike, and he was going to India.

What he had signed up for was slogging along roads with trucks bearing down on him, unable to see and choking in the smog; shooting down treacherous descents with 100 foot drops, shaking with cold and too numb to brake; muscle burn and saddle sores; delirium and food poisoning; thirst and malnutrition; foul and insanitary conditions; life-threatening crises; obstructive border guards, crazed dogs and inquisitive passers-by.

'You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!' is a real and compelling blow-by-blow account of Danny's trip across Europe, the former Soviet Republics, Russia, China, Pakistan and India."

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Sweet. Ta. It'll be on my Kindle when I get home!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I haven't bought a Kindle yet, I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ta, 'bought'
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Mrs Dog Breath has already read this on her Kindle and thoroughly enjoyed it..
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    I haven't bought a Kindle yet, I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback.

It is available in hardcopy, priced at £8.99.

The Kindle version switches between FREE and £0.79 seemingly monthly, so if you miss out this time I'm sure it'll be around again soon. Remember reading on his blog or Twitter that he's shifted 50,000+ of the Kindle version to date, incredible numbers...!

I'm still trying to work out how to get a Kindle through the door and into the house without the girlfriend seeing it...
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Cheers! I don't have a Kindle, but I've got the app on my phone which is great for long train journeys and cycle touring. I believe there's a desktop version too, so you don't have to own a Kindle to take advantage.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Downloaded and thanks :)

(just reading all of Game of Thrones at the moment)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Read it. Terrible spelling throughout.

Steal bike? Unless that was an intended pun.
  • Thanks. Downloaded.
  • lastant wrote:
    I'm still trying to work out how to get a Kindle through the door and into the house without the girlfriend seeing it...

Billing address = your house
    Shipping address = your workplace[/quote]
    mickbrown wrote:
    Read it. Terrible spelling throughout.

Steal bike? Unless that was an intended pun.

And dear running along the road.... :lol:

yup it has a few mistakes in it... but i`m not letting that put me off the story :wink: i found it ironic since he is an english teacher (they are not his fault tho)
  • Downloaded and thanks :)

(just reading all of Game of Thrones at the moment)

Oooh! Oooh! Fancy that one (s)
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • AidanR wrote:
    Cheers! I don't have a Kindle, but I've got the app on my phone which is great for long train journeys and cycle touring. I believe there's a desktop version too, so you don't have to own a Kindle to take advantage.

Yep its available on iphone, ipad, mac, android, windows. It also updates all your linked devices, so if you read a few chapters on your pc at home it will remember where you were if you start reading the same book on your phone
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Thanks - ordered. Danny used to lead rides from my LBS
  • cheers, bought. I have kindle on the PC and my spartphone. works for me without having to justify buying the actual thing
  • cheers, bought. I have kindle on the PC and my spartphone. works for me without having to justify buying the actual thing

this%252520is%252520sparta%255B1%255D.jpg

This is SPARTPHONE!!!!!

:lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

this%252520is%252520sparta%255B1%255D.jpg

This is SPARTPHONE!!!!!

:lol:

:oops: :lol::lol: Hawaaayyyyyyy Blyyyyyyyyyythhhhhhhh
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    It's a good book - read it in May. also down loaded Where is Robert Millar - that's a good read - only half way through!
  • Wow. Thank you for recommending this.

I downloaded "Kindle for PC" and then this book. I'm only on chapter 14 but I'm really in to it! I think this may be one of those books that prompts you to take a long hard look at your life...
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • Downloaded.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • lastant wrote:
    I haven't bought a Kindle yet, I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback.

It is available in hardcopy, priced at £8.99.

The Kindle version switches between FREE and £0.79 seemingly monthly, so if you miss out this time I'm sure it'll be around again soon. Remember reading on his blog or Twitter that he's shifted 50,000+ of the Kindle version to date, incredible numbers...!

Wow. MTFU dude. Is it not up to you how you spend your cash?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Wow. MTFU dude. Is it not up to you how you spend your cash?

Not if he's a kept man!