Avid Mechanical Disc Brakes - Cack

insaino86
insaino86 Posts: 32
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all

I recently bought a Specialized Hardrock whihc came with Avid BB5 Mechnaical Discs. First of all they are a nightmare to align and set up without rubbing. The front brake is decent however the back break is atrocious.

The stopping power is poor and after the second ride the brakes started making a noodling sound. (like a intermitent squeak when locked, as though the pad is diping in and out of the disc holes????)

Is this normal.? I have checked the pads and they are brand new(obviosuly as this is a brnad new bike). Would sand papering the surface help or upgarding the pads?

Comments

• Sounds like poor setup, the bb5 are pretty good. I'd take it into your lbs and ask them to show you how to do it.
  • I have centred the disc and adjusted cable tension properly. If i set up so it rubs it will still make this sound and give poor breaking?
  • can u adjust the vertical alignment of the caliper on the rotor or is this already set? I dont know what else to do I have set it up and followed numerous internet sources.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The BB5 is the second best mech disc brake around (the best is the BB7), typically avid though (there Hydro's do it as well), alignment has to be done carefully to stop it twisting, so you have to watch it like a hawk as you do each bolt up a little at a time or it WILL twist and lead to binding and squeaking, odds on that is what is happening for you, a steel washer (not fitted as standard) between the calliper and the underside of the bolt head helps a lot.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.