Carbon armour

woodytitan
woodytitan Posts: 163
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking at Pace's Carbon armour sheets as had a few whacks with stones that the old Crud catcher up front is too high for.

I thought for a tenner it's worth a punt, anybody any thoughts?? How difficult is it to fit??

Cheers in advance
'11 Cannondale Trail SL3

Comments

• bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    You can get it cheaper of ebay, i brought 3 A5 piece's for about 5 or 6 quid,
    It doesnt fit to well around curves, i got some for the bottom end of the down tube and cant quiet get the coverage on the tube due to its shape,if youve just got a straight down tube it'l be fine.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you can make the stuff bend by using a hair dryer

but just strips that closly fit togher are the best bet, I have tried and failed to cut complex shapes out of this material a few times
  • bamba
    tried the hair dryer, but it had a clear vinyl over the carbon that went brown before the carbon was soft enough to mould.
  • Cheers guys, I'm not very good with owt like this so might be better looking at strips and patching it all together, it's the bottom of the downtube speciffically but I haven't looked to see what shape it is yet.

ta
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    bamba wrote:
    tried the hair dryer, but it had a clear vinyl over the carbon that went brown before the carbon was soft enough to mould.

How about warming it in the oven first?

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • bamba
    Thought about it, thats as far as i got, i have got a bit it took off that has no adhesive on it that i might experiment with.