Wireless Computer and Exposure Front Light

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Does anyone use a combination of the above? Does the light intefere with the computer at all?

The Exposure website says that it 'may', but I wondered if anyone on here had any experience?

Ta.

Comments

• Not with an Exposure but have with a Cateye wireless computer and a plastic-cased CatEye LD front light... just needed to seperate them by a few inches i.e on opposite sides of the stem... obviously it'll be worse with the higher power light, but that should be offset to some extent by the metal case of the Exposure.

Was looking at an Exposure on Monday in Evans, lovely bit of kit, and 325lumens is incredibly bright. Was seriously tempted but couldn't justify that sort of money so in the end common sense prevailed :(
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Which wireless computer do you have?

If it uses the Ant+ protocol to connect to the sensors, eg Garmin Edge, you will be fine as its a digital signal with error recovery in it. If its something like the Cateye wireless computer you could be in trouble as the communication between the sensor and computer is much more primitive and the electrical noise generated by the light could render the computer deaf to the sensor signals.

You might be able to get enough separation between the light and the computer that it works but it can be a bit hit and miss - hence they say "may" cause problems.
  • Which wireless computer do you have?

I don't at the moment. I have a Garmin Edge but wanted to add a small wireless computer that I can fit and forget, not need to charge etc. Was looking at a Cateye. Guess I could go for wired.
  • I have a Cateye Single Shot Plus light that I tried to use with a Cateye Dual Wireless computer. I never managed to get the computer to work properly when the light was on, regardless of mode or brightness. The symptoms where reduced speed and cadence readings. Gave up on it in the end and got an Edge 500 with the ANT+ sensors and the problem went away.

The lower cost computers are getting smarter with their communcations but in general they are proprietary systems and its hard to get details on how they work and how they might not work. At least with ANT+ its a published standard and its clear why it does not suffer from these problems.

Find a computer you like the look of and buy it from Wiggle, if it suffers from interference send it back.

I dont blame Wiggle :D
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    exposure are amazing, had my light almost 3 years now. in that time the light has performed perfectly but the accessories (i have a strada with an extension switch) have not lived up to expectations.

the extension switch frayed at the join, and the plug stopped working. however and this is why i say exposure are amazing. none of this stuff is in warranty and they replaced it no questions asked.

Incredible customer service!
  • Tok me a few rides to work out why my Edge 705 was constantly cycling between Auto Pause/Restart on rides (and oddly, only uphill, in a particular gear, at around 11mph) until I worked out it was Exposure Flash/Flare interference. Dropped the front light under the bars, problem went away.
    Litespeed Tuscany, Hope/Open Pro, Ultegra, pulling an Extrawheel trailer, often as not.

FCR 4 (I think?)
    Twitter: @jimjmcdonnell
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    I have an exposure light, the one with two bulbs.

It stopped my wireless cateye from working intermittantly - until I moved it away abit.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Which wireless computer do you have?

I don't at the moment. I have a Garmin Edge but wanted to add a small wireless computer that I can fit and forget, not need to charge etc. Was looking at a Cateye. Guess I could go for wired.

I've got a wired cateye strada it's brilliant, only had to change to battery once in 11000 miles. Have had to grease the connections though but that seems to be a theme with cateyes
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    spasypaddy wrote:
    exposure are amazing, had my light almost 3 years now...

Incredible customer service!
    +1

I've got three of their front lights (plus two rear "red eyes") so they've done well out of me. They have been great with regards to service. Also, handily they are 5 miles away from where I work.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • my rechargeable cateye, on flash mode, can get the wireless puter i have reading upwarsds of 80mph. i took the computer on the tube once to stop it getting nicked and it showed me cycling . the electromagnetic interference on the tube is horrendous
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    I have a cateye double wireless that sits right between two Hope 1's - it's never missed a beat !
  • I use the exposure light on my head as a "be seen" flasher and suffer no interference on my cheapie wirelss computer