Cyclist DOWN - New Kings Road

Koncordski
Koncordski Posts: 1,009
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Looked very very nasty. Police had closed the road, must have been 6-8 cop cars. Seven and a half ton truck with it's front wheels parked on what was left of a mountain bike. Lots of pillows and blankets under the truck so think the cyclist may have been trapped for awhile. Not there when i went past at 6:30 so must have already left in an ambulance. Seeing the bike under the wheel made me feel a bit queasy. Sincerely hope the cyclist in hospital recovering. Ride safe out there people, that gap probably isn't worth going for.... :shock:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

Comments

• Hope the person is ok.

David
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    As Above!

Oddly, I came across a trading places event this morning and sat in a HGV with all the latest mirrors and alarms. Trust me, even with them, do not go near, never sit on the inside and avoid at all costs!
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I saw this as well, they were taping it off when I got to it. Looked pretty nasty, I hope they're ok :(
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Hope all well. Sounds horrific :cry:
  • fingers crossed the person is ok. It looked pretty bad

Its pretty much a commuters worst nightmare that one- looked like the truck would have been turning left across the cycle lane and taken the cyclist out from what i could see, but i didn't hang around, cos there is just no reason to be a gawper in these situations.

Always hated that bit of the NKR- the road is just too thin to safely have two way traffic and a cycle lane on both sides. but that's another story...
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Which part of the NKR?

Fingers crossed.
  • I saw this about 5:40, looked awful :( . Paramedics were on site at the time. I do hope who ever it was makes a full recovery. Took it very easy from then on...
  • joelsim
    Where on NKR?
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Where on NKR?

Lorry turned into Ashington Road maybe?
  • joelsim
    I can well imagine that, I ride home that way and it's the most dangerous part of the journey with cars putting their noses out from the side streets.
  • I think that it was at the junction with Foskett Road.

I cam down a little before 7.30pm and it was still taped off. I was in a group moving at a fast-ish but not flat out pace. Maybe 20mph. We got flagged down by a police officer who said "It's cyclists going too fast that causes these things in the first place".

So it's the fault of cyclists traveling at considerably slower than the speed limit that drivers fail to keep a proper lookout? :evil:
  • joelsim
    I think 20mph down that stretch is too fast to be honest, I personally always slow right down along that whole stretch as a few cars have pulled out on me and I'm now very wary.
  • Normally there is no way I would get up to that speed, but as the traffic was on diversion the road was nearly clear.
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    Looked awful - fingers crossed for the cyclist.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Wrath Rob and I rode past around 6.30. Fingers crossed.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Any news on the cyclist?

Anything on LFGSS? I can't access that at work
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:

Nope.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    timmyflash wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Nope.

Yep: http://www.lfgss.com/thread72393.html
  • I meant nothing new.

Sounds horrific.
    Steel Blue Fixed - Orange Backpack Cover

How do i get a link to a photo in here?!

Fixeh
  • spen666
    notsoblue wrote:
    timmyflash wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Nope.

Thanks but as I can't access LFGSS forum at work, the link is tantalising, but doesn't inform me- at least until tonight

Twittering @spen_666
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    spen666 wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    timmyflash wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Nope.

Thanks but as I can't access LFGSS forum at work, the link is tantalising, but doesn't inform me- at least until tonight
    2011-09-14 New Kings Road crn Cristowe Rd(?)

18:50 cycled by what looks like a very serious accident. Left turning lorry has run over a cyclist (looked like a hybrid/MTB- difficult to tell).

Ambulance etc had been and all vehicles left in situ. Asked the police if they were OK and he said they were waiting to hear....

I could see the bike underneath the truck . Looked like the front wheels had run over the cyclist. The lorry was agood few yards into the turn before it had stopped.

it knocked me sick to see it. I really, really hope the cyclist isn't too injured.
    The accident was turning into Foskett Road where it comes off New Kings Road. I live just on Munster Road and was just leaving the house - the guy seemed to be responsive to the paramedics who'd just arrived, but I couldn't see anything further. Numerous witnesses were present at the scene. The paramedics were ominously treating the guy under the lorry, and his bike was crushed under the front wheels. I do hope he is OK.

Please be careful riding down there, since at the moment there's more traffic backing up onto NKR than is usual due to the fact that there's roadworks on Putney Bridge again, and it's a popular route to cycle along.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • spen666
    Thanks for that - hopefully no more news is a positive sign

Twittering @spen_666
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    spen666 wrote:
    Thanks for that - hopefully no more news is a positive sign

+1

I've been following this and doing a few news searches now and again. Hope they're ok and recovering in hospital.
    FCN 2 to 8