Think my commuter is trying to tell me something......

Twisterboy
Twisterboy Posts: 311
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

Well I've been commuting for two years on my Virage GVR which my wife purchased for me second hand for £15 nearly three years ago.

It's only cost me say £60 in tyres, brakes and pedals, bottle holder and I've covered about 850 miles on it in a year going to and from my work, just on sunday I cycled from Glasgow to Edinburgh on it, but I noticed yesterday that my sixth gear on the bike was not working and today for some bizzare reason, the rear brake just jammed on, not sure if someone tampered with it while the wife was in our local asda. Needless to say it's going to cost me about £12 to get it all fixed again, while it's not a great cost, I'm worried what will go wrong next, so when I was in the bike shop I was speaking to the chap about a potential new bike, looking at getting a Scott of some description so that I can commute to work during the week and take full advantage of the Trails ie glentress at the weekend.

The only thing I can't get out my head is that the Virage (May be a 24 inch wheel) is that in the few years I've had it, it's been a faithful bike commuting to and from work and even did me proud at pedal for scotland that I can't let it go.

What do you folks think should I move on and start looking at a new commuter or should I stick with the Virage?

If I was to purchase a new bike I would be keeping the Virage for a wee bit then slowly send it into retirement.

Cheers

David

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I think I can sum up all future replys in just three characters.

N

+

You're welcome.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    All bikes have moving parts that eventually wear out. If they're not maintained then it happens even faster. I'd take this as an opportunity to have a shot at a bit of DIY maintenance as well as giving your faithful steed a new lease of life! Winter's coming too, so you might want to avoid subjecting a new bike to that sort of punishment straight away.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Your bike is trying to tell you:
    Please, please, for the love of god maintain me you heartless b*******d
    :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I've been thinking over night for this and with the colder mornings drawing in, once I get it backfrom the bike shop is that I'm going to give it a wee bit of TLC, get involved in our local bike project I think and start working on the bikes, I'm clueless with the mechanical side of bikes hence why it's in the bike shop, and I have use of another bike over the winter that I could use.

David
  • Twisterboy wrote:
    I've been thinking over night for this and with the colder mornings drawing in, once I get it backfrom the bike shop is that I'm going to give it a wee bit of TLC, get involved in our local bike project I think and start working on the bikes, I'm clueless with the mechanical side of bikes hence why it's in the bike shop, and I have use of another bike over the winter that I could use.

David
    Out of curiosity, which project are you going to? The one by the meadows?
  • Not the one in the meadows, one at a church nearby, they take kids out to Glentress every so often and another day they fix the bikes or go for a ride somewhere else.

David
  • Twisterboy wrote:
    Not the one in the meadows, one at a church nearby, they take kids out to Glentress every so often and another day they fix the bikes or go for a ride somewhere else.

David
    Mmm. Will google and see what is what. I have to repair a mtb and build a new commuter, once I am back up and running in the spring.

Good luck - I predict a bike purchase in the spring, by which time you will be able to keep your commuter for those trips not suited for a new full-sus Scott mtb.