hydration back packs?

woozor
woozor Posts: 117
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Im in need of a hydration back pack. As Ive got nothing to store anything in atm.

Im mainly road riding 90% of time with the odd trail offroad.

Ive seen some camelbaks online but havent got a clue which to go for, as the mule i think looks too big for my needs. Mainly going to carry essentials tools,tubes,pump,phone,snacks.

I normally cover around 40mile on my rides. So any suggestions on some back packs? I want something small and light that will carry the above.

Comments

• mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    costco do a small pack for £18
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Or Decathlon. Even Tesco do a basic one,works well!
  • Agree with tesco it's only like £7 and as long as you don't pack the backpack too much it will live up to the job it's intended for.

David
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    What's the next step up from the Tesco one lads... i've got one of them but it's a wee bit small...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited September 2011
    From experience a Mule is big enough to cram in an SLR camera in there together with pump and multi tools and tubes. If you want an idea how big it is. Pretty big.

Edit - strike that, meant HAWG - not Mule! :oops:
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    i bought a Mule @ Merlin for £43. About 3 mins ago.
  • dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    For road use, why not a saddlebag?
  • i use a HAWG and i am really impressed with it, it is big with a 3lt bladder, loads of room for tools food, extra clothing and when i am ridding i do not even notice i have it on.
  • dbmnk wrote:
    For road use, why not a saddlebag?
    :D:D:D:D

The OP did stipulate that he does indulge in "the odd trail offroad"

I use a Hydrapak with removable bladder, only 2L but it's ideal for my trail centre rides, plus if I need extra liquid, there's a cage on the frame and I can carry an extra 750ml of liquid

If you're on the "road" 90% of the time, you should have ample opportunity to stop off and top up your hydration pack.

Go into Halfords and have a look around, they're quite reasonable on the Camelbak and also have a good range too. It costs nothing to do your research at Halfords then look around for a better price on line..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Actually screwed up there. I meant the HAWG is what I've got, not the Mule. :oops:
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Hydropack Reyes, small but with enough room for what you need, comfy and looks good 8)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The camelbak rouge is good for putting your essentials in but not big enough if you want to carry waterproofs, etc.

The mule is my main pack for everyday communting and also for my weekend rides. Its big enough to cram everything in for a day. Its slim so it doesn't get in the way when your on singletrack.

I would definitely recommend the camelbak mule. Reserve it online if you are getting one from Halfords as it saves you a couple of quid :-)
  • Evans have got some Dakines in the sale at the moment.

Or...I have a Gelert one which does me fine! Only about 20 notes and allows me to carry 2l of water, pump, cagoule (sic), link remover, tube, multi tool, phone, wallet...
  • I have the Camelbak Consigliere, I love it! 2 litre bladder, looks well nice in my opinion, and I get alot inside, and if I don't use the waist straps i'm able to hook them up so I can strap extra jackets to the bag. Carries everything I need inside, and wasn't too expensive.
  • i have a camelbak i could not be morehappy with it but the best part of it is the blader and that you can buy on its own and fit to another back pack of your choice
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    I used to use a tesco one, but had problems with the cheap bladder leaking so fitted a camelbak bladder,

For the stuff I carry the tesco one was a bit small so I changed to a Dakine Drafter.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • x3man
    x3man Posts: 85
    I've used the Dakine Amp 12L. A very well designed and well made pack. Will carry essentials, snacks, tools, rain jacket etc. With them being on offer at Evans I definitely recommend.
  • I have a Camelbak Mule - one of the best things i've bought for my cycling hobby, would 100% recommend it.
  • For me the Osprey Raptor 14 with 100 prototypes and 3 years of testing. Has resulted in the ultimate hydration pack, Check them out against the mule etc on You tube.
    Rideing a Canyon XC Nerve 6.0,

Cheers Geordie.
  • +1 for decathlon stuff, with Camelbak I always feel your paying way more for the name. Check these out;

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/six-camo-hyd ... 76458.html

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/hydration-pa ... 76457.html

I have the latter and its fantastic value.
  • I use the fox oasis and I think it's brilliant, bit pricier than most though

http://www.mx1.co.uk/.Fox-Motocross-Fox ... 01-000.htm
    Ride my bike until I get home
  • That fox is not bad priced at all, yeah it's more expensive than the really cheap stuff, but very decent price if you ask me!
  • That fox is not bad priced at all, yeah it's more expensive than the really cheap stuff, but very decent price if you ask me!