gxp double and bash....fitting chainguide?

m1tch666
m1tch666 Posts: 148
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm slowly putting together my first full suss bike, I just got the gxp double and bash set from CRC and would also like to run the blackspire stinger chainguide. My BB size is 73 mm which states I don't need to use spacers with the crankset and BB I've jsut got, my question is, how do I fit the chainguide?
I thought that the chainguide would replace one of the spacers (if I'd used them). How do I fit it now? do I add a spacer to the non drive side to equal out the spacing or how do I work out my chainline?
Being a newbie at the building thing, all advice welcome :)
Dartmoor Primal 26" 1 x 10, 40 expander
Banshee Spitfire 650b 1 x 10, 42 expander

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Have you got fitting instructions for the Blackspire?

http://www.blackspire.com/site_assets/w ... _guide.pdf
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Yip......
  • 1mancity2
    Says you don't need spacers for 73mm only for 68mm
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    Says you don't need spacers for 73mm only for 68mm
    That's what I mean, if I'm not using spacers how do I fit the chainguide since it replaces the space of one of the spacers.......????
  • 1mancity2
    Have you tried it yet?

I have a chain guide fitted to the BB and also no spacers, works fine.
  • Not tried it, was trying to get an answer and get my head around it before buying....not good to buy it and let it go to waste....lol :)
  • ROCHA
    ROCHA Posts: 266
    You need a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side if you're not using the blackspire.
    If you mount the blackspire you put it where the spacer should be, i.e. instead of the spacer. That's why the black spire has a 2.5mm thick plate

EDIT:
    :oops:
    Oops, sorry! I must have misread something. Acording to this: http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-6115-006-000_rev_e_mtb_cranksets.pdf you're in a bit of trouble... and you can't have any spacers on either side.

Do you have iscg mounts on your frame? That and a iscg specific device would work.

You can still cancel / alter your order. :arrow: SLX double+bash comes with a bb that will take that chainguide with no fuss and has great reviews :idea:
  • 1mancity2
    ROCHA wrote:
    You can still cancel / alter your order. :arrow: SLX double+bash comes with a bb that will take that chainguide with no fuss and has great reviews :idea:

This is what I have on mine.
  • ROCHA wrote:
    You need a 2.5mm spacer on the drive side if you're not using the blackspire.
    If you mount the blackspire you put it where the spacer should be, i.e. instead of the spacer. That's why the black spire has a 2.5mm thick plate

EDIT:
    :oops:
    Oops, sorry! I must have misread something. Acording to this: http://www.sram.com/sites/default/files/techdocs/95-6115-006-000_rev_e_mtb_cranksets.pdf you're in a bit of trouble... and you can't have any spacers on either side.

Do you have iscg mounts on your frame? That and a iscg specific device would work.

Thats what I was thinking, however, I mean to replace the gxp BB since it gets shocking reviews.........superstar ceramic will replace it, so my question stands.....73mm BB size no iscg mounts, how do i fit the chain guide lol?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited September 2011
    Bash plus N-gear jump stop = sorted!

EDIT - ignore works with single only......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I believe with the hope bb converted to gxp you still need a spacer, probably the same with the superstar although I can't be sure.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I tried, it can't be done, you'll damage the Stinger if you fit it and try to turn the cranks. The chainring bolts scrape against it.

Get a Shimano chainset, or use an ISCG chain device, if youve got tabs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."