Gear jumping back and forth since...

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Removing the back wheel and refitting it. I received my new tyres and fitted them in. I always struggle to replace the back wheel into position. This morning I went to get my bike in the shed and the back tyre was flat. So i replaced the tube and during the ride the gears at the back were kind of jumping back and forth when I was going towards the bigger cogs. It never done it before so I take it that I messed up something when refitting the back wheel. Anything I should check/look for, or does the derailleur need some adjustment? Thanks
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Either the wheel is not back in properly, or you need to readjust the gears.
  • supersonic wrote:
    Either the wheel is not back in properly, or you need to readjust the gears.

Thanks Supersonic, the wheel is back in properly (i think :oops: ). So to adjust the gear do I do using the 2 little screw that are on the derailleur/cassette (??) the ones that move the gear shifter sideways, or do I use the wheel that tense the cable? I hope I make myself clear (just to add that the gear change ok, but then when I pedal I can feel the gear "jumping" back and forth maybe by a cog or 2)
    Thanks
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    firstly check that the wheel is sitting evenly in the dropouts, you may not need to adjust the gears :wink:
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    And if the wheel is fine, adjust using the barrel adjusters on either mech or shifters.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks guys will do that.

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • Also check if the mech is straight, ie. pointing straight down
  • Si1988
    Si1988 Posts: 158
    Sounds to me like your wheel was never seated properly in the first place, with my new bike I got my brother to sit on it before i tightened up the wheel, then sorted the gears out, only problem being my brother got a go on my bike before I did!

Given that if your wheel has been misaligned since new, I'd do a full re-calibration of your rear mech, just to be sure. Cant hurt to do this sort of thing once in a while anyway, as chains and cassettes wear over time.
  • Si1988 wrote:
    Sounds to me like your wheel was never seated properly in the first place, with my new bike I got my brother to sit on it before i tightened up the wheel, then sorted the gears out, only problem being my brother got a go on my bike before I did!

Given that if your wheel has been misaligned since new, I'd do a full re-calibration of your rear mech, just to be sure. Cant hurt to do this sort of thing once in a while anyway, as chains and cassettes wear over time.

I did put my weight on when I refitted the wheel, and did not have the problem before that, the gear were changing perfectly, never jumping. It probably need some adjustment, I am due for a free service anyway so if I can't sort it myself I will take the bike in.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève