Embarrasing Moments

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
i use a bridle track to commute on in the mornings as its traffic free only draw back is that there is a gate to stop motorbikes ever half mile or so.

so get to a gate this morning unclip I stop and push bike around gate thingy...just then another bike comes the other way, i rush to get out of the way, try to clip back in but i kinda miss the pedal and end up squishing my love spuds on the top tube of the bike much to the amusement of the other cyclist

so anyone else?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Posted on monday:
    bails87 wrote:
    I'm still nursing my bruised and grazed elbow, ribs and hip after doing a superwicked wheelie, then going over the back of the bike on the skills course on Saturday :oops: I started to overbalance so I went for the back brake and missed, grabbed the front, which didn't do anything, then tried to bail and couldn't unclip :oops: how embarrasing! :lol:
    :oops:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • There is a part of my route where I have to cross a one way major road. It is three lanes wide, usually with traffic queuing in the third lane. The traffic travels my right to my left, and the exit is offset to the left from the place I enter, so it is not unusual for me to find myself in the far lane, waiting for the queue to move, so I can flow with it and take my turn off.

So, one morning I roll across and aim for a narrow gap between two queuing cabs. I see I'm going to have to wait, so I unclip my right (usual) foot and prepare to wait directly across the bonnet of the second cab.

However, I'm turning the bars ever so slightly to the left in preparation for moving off, and can feel I'm getting to that alarming point of right foot down but weight over the left foot. Uh-oh!

I start to lean the wrong way, but rather than unclip on the left, I put a hand out to lean on the rear of the first cab. Phew. That works.

Right up to the point at which the first cab starts to pull away.

Absolutely frantic panicked attempts to unclip on the left whilst unbalanced and tipping. I caught it, but only just.

The driver of the second cab was pissing himself though.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Once when a dispatch rider (motorcycle) I was squeezed between cars and cones so tightly that I could no longer proceed to filter through the stationary traffic and so put my right foot down on the 'wrong side' of the cones to wait for the queue to move a bit and let me carry on.

My foot went down into a puddle.

Which wasn't a puddle.

But a flooded hole that was part of the roadworks.

I didn't quite sink without a trace but most of me and 'sickle got submerged before I clawed myself back out.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • An old post I made;
    Usually I maintain/check my bike and cleats every weekend, the last two weekends have been really busy and I've let it slip... I noticed my left foot was sticking to the pedal on the way home but came loose with a bit of jiggling. So... I'm just about to pull up to my house, approach the front door, apply brakes but my foot won't come out! Argh! Ooof! Right over onto the gravel - left shoe still attached to pedal... Infront of the the WHOLE street, just I was was cursing a really nice lady (classic looking type, very nice) walks past and asks me if I'm okay. Made me forget about the stones implanted in my forearm

Anyway short of it is, one of the screws fell out of the cleats on the way home, the cleat is now locked in the pedal until I get time to take it out. Job for the weekend and a new pair of cleats needed, unless I can find the screw!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2011
    Last winter I was waiting at a railway crossing near my house and It seemed like the train was never going to arrive, so I decided to take the bridge over the track. Cars queued up on both sides, as I come off the other side there are tram lines to cross before I can make it back onto the road. As I look out for a tram my wheel got stuck in the track and I go ass over tit, scrape may hands, bars and skimmed the pavement with my face and right infront of the queuing traffic :oops: , I bet they felt I got what I deserved. :lol:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I was cycl down Gower street (3 lanes one way) a few years back now when roadworks were on in the left hand lane which was blocked off with those big red and white barrier things. Its all backed up queuing in remaining two lanes maing filtering tricky so I thought I'd weave between the barriers and cycle down the closed lane as there was no work emn in it and plenty of room past whatever they were doing.

Next thing I know is I'm on the floor in the roadwroks lane, having clipped my peddle trying to squeeze through the barriers. :oops:

Only a whole frigging busload of people plus numerous cars watching!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Filtering through Greenwich town center the gap i was going for rapidly narrowed and I decided to track stand in the middle of two lanes of traffic looking rather cool. Then invitably my balance started to go, no problem I thought, I'll just lean nonchalantly against the rear quarter of the taxi next to me just as the traffic started to move. I rapidly found I was trying to lean against nothing but air :oops:

That however is nothing compared to my planned walk out of the office this evening. CP has very kindly pointed out that my new Campag shorts have rather too much crack action going on, I think in retribution for me passing him this morning. Now as I have nothing else to commute in and no baggies I have a walk through the office to look forward to knowing that anyone who looks up from their desk will see a full moon. I am however determined to brazen it out
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Rich158 wrote:
    That however is nothing compared to my planned walk out of the office this evening. CP has very kindly pointed out that my new Campag shorts have rather too much crack action going on, I think in retribution for me passing him this morning. Now as I have nothing else to commute in and no baggies I have a walk through the office to look forward to knowing that anyone who looks up from their desk will see a full moon. I am however determined to brazen it out

Eww!

In a related story, I pulled up behind a SSer last night. He was wearing hipster jeans and what must have been a bra top. The result was enough @rse crack to keep a large box of polyfilla busy and a grandstand view of the hairy rug that was stuck to his lower back.

I didn't hang around behind him for long...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Filtering down 3 lanes of traffic and I had to switch lanes to make further progress. Cut in benind a Freelander but find that I've not got room to get round behind it so I think I'll just stop here and wait for the traffic to move to straighten up and carry on.

Rather than unclipping I decide to just lean against the back of the Freelander whilst I wait.

Didn't realise they had rear windows that rolled all the way down so I went to lean, but rather than glass, there was air and I ended up halfway into the boot.

Luckily the dirver had a sense of humour.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Eww!

In a related story, I pulled up behind a SSer last night. He was wearing hipster jeans and what must have been a bra top. The result was enough @rse crack to keep a large box of polyfilla busy and a grandstand view of the hairy rug that was stuck to his lower back.

These are just ploys to stop the drafting fairies.
  • stuj15
    stuj15 Posts: 167
    A couple of years back, on a hybrid with bar extensions. Sat at the Ped lights in front of the Tower of London, tourists everywhere and a queue of traffic behind me.

Wary of trying to get away from the lights fast they change and off I go in a higher than normal gear. Using the bar extensions to grip, one of them suddenly snaps under the power awesomeness :oops: and I fall on top of the bike and then to the floor - I end up looking at the underside of the white van that stopped two feet from my head. Manage to stand a gingerly walk off to the pavement after winding myself on the headset/top tube.

Cue derisory laughter from the White Van Weasel.

I kind tourist then passed me something black and plastic, I couldn't work out what it was at first. Turned out I'd smashed my front light and he was passing me one of the hundred pieces that had flown off in every direction. I then started laughing.
  • Rich158
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

Eww!

These are just ploys to stop the drafting fairies.

Hmmm at the risk of being very un-pc I guess if anyone does start drafting...............no won't even go there
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Rich158 wrote:
    Filtering through Greenwich town center the gap i was going for rapidly narrowed and I decided to track stand in the middle of two lanes of traffic looking rather cool. Then invitably my balance started to go, no problem I thought, I'll just lean nonchalantly against the rear quarter of the taxi next to me just as the traffic started to move. I rapidly found I was trying to lean against nothing but air :oops:

I'd almost managed to forget... :cry: maybe the next size up next time eh :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Whats with all the leaning on cars? In emergency situations its understandable, but not to just avoid clipping in.

I've never had any embarrasing moments.
    I've never had a clipless moment infront of a group of yummy mummys and been asked "Are you alright, love?" whilst on the floor.
    I've never ridden into the back of a parked car whilst riding up a steep hill due to having a fly in my eye.

These things have never happened to me! Honest.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Rich158
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

I'd almost managed to forget... :cry: maybe the next size up next time eh :lol:

You're not kidding, fecking Italian sizes :oops:

I passed a young lady with a similar problem arround Rotherhithe this evening, very nice it was although she did have a thong to spare total embarassment. I was almost tempted to draft for a bit but had to drop a fairy of my own I'd picked up, I didn't manage to drop him until Greenwich Park hill, he clung on with truly worrying tenacity given I knew what the view must be like from back there

Revised FCN - 2
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Not a recent story, but when I was young (must have been under 9 because it was when I lived oop North), I was with a group of mates riding my Grifter when we all came to a stop and I toppled over into a load of horse sh*t. My poor mum had the unenvious task of cleaning me up in the kitchen before I was allowed upstairs to the bathroom.

I can still see them laughing, even my mum.
  • Fitted my new set of SPDs to the bike and thought I'd give them a quick spin up the road. All well until I had to stop and realised I couldn't unclip as the tension was too high. Gentle fall to the ground fully clipped in and still couldn't unclip. Had to swing bike to the side of road and take shoes off whilst lying down before me and bike could separate. That was rather undignified.

Another time in the inside lane at a rather fast roundabout behind van behind car. Artic lorry in outside lane move off car and van move off then car slams on brakes because the silly sod can't see the road is clear because of the sodding great lorry in the way. I had been trackstanding and did a huge push off just as the van slams on HIS brakes so as not to run into back of car. Result two point contact between me and the back of the van, my front wheel and my head with the back wheel about 3ft off the deck. Startled look in van mirror and driver in the car behind me absolutely pissing himself
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    This sort of ties in with the slipstreaming vehicles thread. I was 2nd in a queue onm aroundabout with a transit box van ahead of me, I'm looking at the traffic coming round the roundabout and see a gap I expect the transit to use, except he doesn't. Front wheel made contact with the step on the back of the van and my head nearly did likewise with the backdoor. Luckily no damage to anybody, ToyRus bikes may be cheap but the wheels were strong.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Also just remembered once setting off after not quite doing up the handlebars on the Brompton and ended up at the feet of the person I'd just been talking to as I pushed off.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Cycling on a bike path through a park. Cycled on this path 2-3 times a week, so know it well. It's got one of those gates that can be opened for the parky's van or emergency services, with a gap to the right. heading for the gap i just have some totally irrational thought that I've misjudged it, and next thing......I've braked too hard, twitched the handle bars and gone over them. Worse, my cleats haven't disengaged so somehow I'm lying on my back wriggling like a 14 stone beetle with a bike attached to my feet stuck up in the air, trying to get myself up! Other park users rushed their dogs away to stop the poor creatures being traumatised by the sight....

some nasty road rash and chain ring punctures to the calf too.....
  • An old post I made;
    Usually I maintain/check my bike and cleats every weekend, the last two weekends have been really busy and I've let it slip... I noticed my left foot was sticking to the pedal on the way home but came loose with a bit of jiggling. So... I'm just about to pull up to my house, approach the front door, apply brakes but my foot won't come out! Argh! Ooof! Right over onto the gravel - left shoe still attached to pedal... Infront of the the WHOLE street, just I was was cursing a really nice lady (classic looking type, very nice) walks past and asks me if I'm okay. Made me forget about the stones implanted in my forearm

Anyway short of it is, one of the screws fell out of the cleats on the way home, the cleat is now locked in the pedal until I get time to take it out. Job for the weekend and a new pair of cleats needed, unless I can find the screw!

Snap a few days ago. I pulled up at a level crossing to wait for a train to pass (as you do). The usual heel twist action for the SPDs didn't work for some reason, so I did the old slow-motion comedy fall thing in front of all and sundry. I could have lived with the ignominy of that, but I also happened to put my hand out to break my fall, result being a broken wrist, and six weeks off the bike. Damn!
  • I was cycling through a country park when a dog chasing a ball had other interests... my ankle. Due to the shoe/pedal mismatch i couldnt unclip when i tried to stop i fell over, much to the amusement of the dog owner.

I see the funny side now but at the time i could have lamped the guy
  • Rich158
    An old post I made;
    Usually I maintain/check my bike and cleats every weekend, the last two weekends have been really busy and I've let it slip... I noticed my left foot was

Snap a few days ago. I pulled up at a level crossing to wait for a train to pass (as you do). The usual heel twist action for the SPDs didn't work for some reason, so I did the old slow-motion comedy fall thing in front of all and sundry. I could have lived with the ignominy of that, but I also happened to put my hand out to break my fall, result being a broken wrist, and six weeks off the bike. Damn!

A similar thing happened to a clubmate earlier this year, we'd all turned up at RP to have a go at the three lap callenge and watched one of the girls go past the roundabout at Roehampton Gate and come to a stop by the first bridge over the little river. After about 5 minutes we realised she hadn't moved and being the chivalrous chaps we are stood about discussing why she hadn't turned arround and come back to check her time for another 5 minutes or so. by the time we thought somebody should go and see what was wrong somebody had stopped and helped her out. it turns out the cleats had come loose in both pedals meaning she was unable to disengage from the pedals and had stopped by the nearest object she could rest against whilst working out exactly what to do, thinking that one of us gallant men may come and help her :oops:

Revised FCN - 2
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Rich158 wrote:
    An old post I made;
    Usually I maintain/check my bike and cleats every weekend, the last two weekends have been really busy and I've let it slip... I noticed my left foot was

A similar thing happened to a clubmate earlier this year, we'd all turned up at RP to have a go at the three lap callenge and watched one of the girls go past the roundabout at Roehampton Gate and come to a stop by the first bridge over the little river. After about 5 minutes we realised she hadn't moved and being the chivalrous chaps we are stood about discussing why she hadn't turned arround and come back to check her time for another 5 minutes or so. by the time we thought somebody should go and see what was wrong somebody had stopped and helped her out. it turns out the cleats had come loose in both pedals meaning she was unable to disengage from the pedals and had stopped by the nearest object she could rest against whilst working out exactly what to do, thinking that one of us gallant men may come and help her :oops:

I've never under stood this when it happened to me i just slackened off my shoe and pulled my foot out leaveing shoe attached to pedal. but then i tend to try to unclip early and that gives me time to mess with the shoe if i need too.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • t4tomo wrote:
    Also just remembered once setting off after not quite doing up the handlebars on the Brompton and ended up at the feet of the person I'd just been talking to as I pushed off.

"while you're down there...."
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Had a seat up my arse at a chicane on a cycle track after a sudden stop. Also landed on my top tube in the same place.

Thankfully my SPD fails are becoming near misses rather than resulting in gaping wounds.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Dismounted on a cattlegrid once while on a leisurely ride with some mates... straight down the gaps! :oops:
    FCN = 8/9 Black Tourer