Fox RP3 - Service or replace?????

Markmjh
Markmjh Posts: 415
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i've got a 2006 Marin Attack Trail with Fax RP3 shock. The pro-pedal and rebound have no affect at all now.
So the choice i have is £101 for a service with Mojo or look about for a replacement on the second hand market???
I am quite a big guy and ride a bit of everything so would a coil be better than just air?

If replacment is best, any sugestions??? I think it is 200mm with 55mm stroke(could be wrong :oops: )
Ride Crash Ride Again

Comments

• Just get it serviced... Far better result than anything you're likely to pick up for the money.
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    Tim Flooks will get the shock back up and running far better than it was when it was new. I had my 2004 Marin's Fox Float RP shock Pushed and serviced, and it transformed the bike. Fantastic.

TFTuned is the name of his outfit, and I have no link other than as a satisfied customer.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    Service yourself. Pack costs 17.99 from Mojo and takes around 20 mins to do. Instructions are available on BR and Fox websites.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's normally just seals etc for the aircan service. Won't fix propedal etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Markmjh
    Markmjh Posts: 415
    as cooldad said, a home service will only sort the seals on the air can(which is fine). I think it is the oil chamber that affects the propedal.

Thinking i might just get a service on it for now and see how it goes.
    And TF is cheaper than Mojo as well, so thanks guys :-)

So next question is do i PUSH it or stick with the propedal??????
    Ride Crash Ride Again
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If you were happy with it before I would just get the std service.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Growmac
    Growmac Posts: 117
    When I used them last, Tim himself rang me to discuss my bike, riding style, and whether a Push would be appropriate. Very exciting as he was a childhood hero of mine, but also very useful.

My shock was 04 so no pro-pedal involved, so was a fairly easy decision. No idea what to recommend on yours.
    1994 Clark Kent F12; 2004 Mount Vision; 2011 Canyon AM 7, 2012 Canyon Torque FRX 6, a unicycle and a Brompton.