E - petitions to Government/ Parliament

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
There have been a few links posted on here to e - petitions and the Hillbrough one now has 100,000 signatures, so MPs must "consider" debating the issue.

Wonder what parliament will do when/ if there are numerous petitions that get 100,000 signatures

wonder also what people's reaction will be when they realise that getting 2100,000 signatures does not guarantee a debate and that even if there is a debate there is no real outcome other than publicity.

The Emperor's new clothes?
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    They'll agree to raise it to 500,000.

I recon, due to the ease of creating and signing petitions nowadays, they should limit each person to putting their name to one or two petitions per year - so that they put their name down to something they actually care about.

That way, when they do get a significant amount of signatures, they can take it seriously, rather than wondering whether it is actually popular, or whether it's a bunch of lazy don't-do-work-and-spend-all-their-time-on-the-internet people who have nothing better to do, rather than really caring about said issue.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    They'll agree to raise it to 500,000.

I recon, due to the ease of creating and signing petitions nowadays, they should limit each person to putting their name to one or two petitions per year - so that they put their name down to something they actually care about.

What if you genuinely care about more than two things?

But spen is correct, they're just a way for the govt to have an appearance of looking like it's listening. As he says, get 100,000 signatures and they will consider having a debate on the issue. So they might ignore it, they might have a debate where they all dismiss the issue, or they might have a proper debate and then the gov't still chooses to do nothing.

http://www.wetheundereducated.com/
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    96(An excellent coincidence) Ministers agreed this should go further, so on 17th Oct it's going to the house of commons.

We'll see what we see from there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I should really go and research it myself but what do the Hillisborough famillies actually want?

(not trolling- just interested)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    For gov't papers to be released.

I don't know if those are meeting minutes, copies of gov't statements, records of who made what decisions, where rumours came from etc.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I should really go and research it myself but what do the Hillisborough famillies actually want?

(not trolling- just interested)

In a word justice. Their loved ones died because ambulances were cordoned off under police instruction unable to attend the injured. Many died because of the delay and to cover themselves an order was given that all deaths should be reported as having occured before 3pm, even though eye witness accounts point to the injured still being alive up to 30 mins after that cut off point.

Who ordered that cut off point and why is still a matter of concern. Those responsible for the decisons on the day have never been brought to account and its believed thatcher intervened to forbid any thorough investigation of the police failings on the day.

Those involved in the hillsborough justice campaign don't want scape goats or revenge, they dont even want the govt documents revealed to the public they simply want the truth as to what happened to their loved ones.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.