Smart car on its side: Lower Richmond road 8:20pm last night

georgee
georgee Posts: 537
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Some sort of comical accident it seems, a few scooters and cyclist stopped and the police had just turned up as I rode past. I assumed it was just the motoring gods taking revenge for choosing to drive a stupid car?

Slightly staggered that in trying to get past some muppet in a small car swerve onto the pavement in desperation to save a couple of seconds...

anyone else spot what happened?

Comments

• lots of estate agents drive smart cars so no sort of tw@ttish driving should come as a surprise
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Oi! I've got a smart car.

OK it's a roadster, but it's still a smart car.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Smart car - isn't that an oxymoron?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Oi! I've got a smart car.

OK it's a roadster, but it's still a smart car.

well done, the first part of any theraphy is to admit you have a problem. Now you've got that off your chest you'll soon be on the road to recovery.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • i don't have one but do like the design ideas in a Smart car. Which other cars can you change bodywork so easily for example? My 14 year old estate is starting to get rusty panels - that is major work to fix. if they were easily replaceable panels the life of the car would be extended. i think all cars should be designed with ease of fixing and longevity as a higher priority.

Was the accident on the mini roundabout on the LRR?

There was a fatality on Tibbetts corner on Saturday - a race driver crashed at 6 am in the morning:
    http://www.putneysw15.com/default.asp?s ... esw002.htm
  • There was a fatality on Tibbetts corner on Saturday - a race driver crashed at 6 am in the morning:

poor sod; race formula 3, Le Mans, then end up buying the farm by stacking it on the A3 ;(
    <a>road</a>
  • There was a fatality on Tibbetts corner on Saturday - a race driver crashed at 6 am in the morning:
    as taken to a south London hospital suffering serious head injuries. But he died the following day.

If only he'd been wearing a helmet.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    I must have gone past it just after it happened as there was no Police or Ambulance at that point. It happened well before the Roundabout. It was near the ped crossing 100m before the pub as you are heading west.

My thoughts are that they cornered too quickly, clipped the cerb and it just flipped them over.

Lots of people taking pictures
  • I owned a smart Roadster-Coupe (the little sports version) for a while. Had it remapped to make it quick enough to be interesting. It was, however, a total piece of rubbish and spent about 3 months at the dealers in the 2 years I owned it. Bizarrely, in contrast to the comments above about body panels, one of its issues was corrosion. The quality of build was truly shocking and the Merc dealers knew less about it than I did.

To rub salt into the wound, when it went wrong I'd get smart For-Twos (the "smart car") to drive. They're fun for about 5 minutes with a stupidly short wheelbase and fantastic off-the-line acceleration ability (don't try to beat one away from the lights) - but I drove one on a windy motorway once - I've never been so scared at the wheel of a car in my life (and I race cars as a hobby).
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

poor sod; race formula 3, Le Mans, then end up buying the farm by stacking it on the A3 ;(
    Apparently, professional race car drivers are more likely to have accidents (on public roads) than the average.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm sure I read about a test pilot who retired, only to die from a remote control model airplane hitting him in the head......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • snailracer wrote:
    Apparently, professional race car drivers are more likely to have accidents (on public roads) than the average.

That's funny because I've read that insurers like race drivers because of their increased awareness and looking ahead. I have nothing to support that though.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I once drove a Brabus Smart car. Hilarious, until I got to a speed bump. But great fun between the bumps. Didn't try it for more than 2 minutes and didn't try to corner qucikly though. Awful gearbox as I recall.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I know someone who works for a hire car company, they had a load of smart cars but got rid of them because they fall over so easily around corners! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • snailracer wrote:

That's funny because I've read that insurers like race drivers because of their increased awareness and looking ahead. I have nothing to support that though.
    http://www.scienceservingsociety.com/tsd/CH06.htm
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I once drove a Brabus Smart car. Hilarious, until I got to a speed bump. But great fun between the bumps. Didn't try it for more than 2 minutes and didn't try to corner qucikly though. Awful gearbox as I recall.

You learn to drive around the gearbox. It takes time to respond to the paddle so you just learned to shift down in advance - shifting up is automatic so that's not a problem. Not ideal but not the problem you think it will be.

When I first arrived in Inverness with it, I was stopped by a policeman in an Astra van for "accelerating too quickly onto a roundabout" in my "powerful sportscar" - I was tempted to point out that his Astra had considerably more power than the smart but thought better of it.
  • snailracer wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

Pretty meaningless analysis to be honest as no account taken of mileage covered or fault. It may be that race drivers enjoy driving and therefore cover greater mileages where they are run into by non-race drivers.

In other news, the analysis suggests that single people have more accidents than married people. Don't know about you guys, but I went out more and engaged in more risky behaviours when I was single compared to being married.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,949
    Veronese68 wrote:

When I first arrived in Inverness with it, I was stopped by a policeman in an Astra van for "accelerating too quickly onto a roundabout" in my "powerful sportscar"

Jesus that is ridiculous, surely you want to get onto a roundabout as quickly as you can, be it on a bike or in a car, and it's not like you can break the speed limit on your way to the centre of the roundabout :roll:

Out of interest, what car/s do you race?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • snailracer wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

LMAO - love the references in there from forty years ago. There's little doubt that racing drivers might get more speeding tickets than average...
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    snailracer wrote:

Most mainstream insurers won't deal with professional sportspeople because they're incredibly high-risk as a group (not necessarily because of their driving). If you ever rent a car have a look at the list of disqualifying occupations in the rental contract.

I don't know how that applies to racing drivers (or non-professionals for that matter) specifically, though.
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

When I first arrived in Inverness with it, I was stopped by a policeman in an Astra van for "accelerating too quickly onto a roundabout" in my "powerful sportscar"

Jesus that is ridiculous, surely you want to get onto a roundabout as quickly as you can, be it on a bike or in a car, and it's not like you can break the speed limit on your way to the centre of the roundabout :roll:

I did also want to say to him that I was from the south of England and, if I didn't accelerate onto a roundabout that quickly, I'd probably have still been in the south of England waiting at a roundabout....

He said it was friendly advice to avoid me running into a truck! You have to remember that the Highlands has (I believe) the lowest rate of crime in the UK.

I race a 1969 Alfa Giulia GT in the Scottish Classic Sports & Saloons series mostly at Knockhill. ITV4 coverage here (my car is the white Alfa with Teenage Cancer Trust logos)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_xFeOGC ... ata_player
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,949
    Beautiful and characterful car you have there mrs, good on ya for getting out there and doing it :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    As Mr Ribble said, well before the roundabout. It looked as though it had pulled out onto LRR turhing right, and was on its right hand side. as in my little diagram below, complete illogical as though maybe it was turning left at speed then slid out into LRR?

----| | |
    ---- | |
    ----| x| |
    | | |
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    nation wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

Most mainstream insurers won't deal with professional sportspeople because they're incredibly high-risk as a group (not necessarily because of their driving). If you ever rent a car have a look at the list of disqualifying occupations in the rental contract.

I don't know how that applies to racing drivers (or non-professionals for that matter) specifically, though.

It's not really about the drivers, it's the people that they might have in their car. Passenger liability would be millions if Lewis Hamilton had Jenson in the car he crashed and Jenson lost a leg. TBF less famous racing drivers aren't a problem, it's just how famous they and their freinds are.

I used to deal with the insurance for Adam and Ricky Christodoulou's Dad's company, they're both insured, not famous enough (yet) for us to worry about.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Beautiful and characterful car you have there mrs, good on ya for getting out there and doing it :D

Thank you. If the last year has taught me anything it's that you have no idea what's around the corner - if you don't do it now while you can, you may never do it. Raised a few thousand for Teenage Cancer Trust while we are at it and raised their profile too. Can't be wrong.
  • snailracer wrote:
    snailracer wrote:

Pretty meaningless analysis to be honest as no account taken of mileage covered or fault. It may be that race drivers enjoy driving and therefore cover greater mileages where they are run into by non-race drivers...

The study is estimating overall risk of being in an accident, not risk-per-mile or risk-of-fault.

If race drivers tend to drive lots more than the average driver, then they may be exposing themselves to more risk in total, even if their risk-per-mile might be lower.

The study is not trying to distinguish fault either, an accident is still an accident regardless of whose fault it is. If, say, racing drivers are never at fault, but still get into more accidents than normal drivers, then - bottom line - racing drivers are still more likely to have an accident.

The study is not trying to correct for confounding factors in order to "uncover" some underlying "truth", it's simply measuring raw risk.

I could speculate that pro racing drivers tend to be young men, who are less risk-averse than other demographics.
  • veronese68
    Daniel B wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Hang on. I've never been to Inverness.
  • veronese68
    Daniel B wrote:

Thank you. If the last year has taught me anything it's that you have no idea what's around the corner - if you don't do it now while you can, you may never do it. Raised a few thousand for Teenage Cancer Trust while we are at it and raised their profile too. Can't be wrong.

Very good cause and good taste in cars. I heartily approve. I'll look at the clip at home tonight. Took the boy to watch the HSCC racing at Brands on Sunday some beautiful machinery. We sponsor one of the series, so free tickets. Odd seeing the company name on the side of a De Tomaso when we do bits for old english cars.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Another Roadster owner and hobby racing driver here!

Had the Roady for 2 and a bit years now, a few niggles but a thoroughly delightful little car.

I know many lunatic racing drivers who have come a-cropper on the road, but i would like to consider myself a very safe and aware driver on the public highways. On the racetrack mind................. :wink:
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Very good cause and good taste in cars. I heartily approve. I'll look at the clip at home tonight. Took the boy to watch the HSCC racing at Brands on Sunday some beautiful machinery. We sponsor one of the series, so free tickets. Odd seeing the company name on the side of a De Tomaso when we do bits for old english cars.

Thanks. well done for sponsoring the racing too - really helps. If you enjoy that type of racing, I post loads of in-car clips on YouTube. Here's the BTCC race featured on ITV from my POV http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3gnKD8-cXQ