Bike Law

2»

Comments

• I'm not advocating licenses for cyclists.

It's always struck me as being a bit weird that the the only group of road users who aren't required to familiarise themselves with the law are cyclists.

I can't say how this could be enforced or monitored, but it makes sense to me. You might get a few people taking some of the more casually flouted laws a little more seriously (although I do doubt that myself)
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    chilling wrote:
    I'm not advocating licenses for cyclists.

It's always struck me as being a bit weird that the the only group of road users who aren't required to familiarise themselves with the law are cyclists.
    And horse riders and pedestrians.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Yup, I'd make horse riders take their theory if they wanted to ride on the road.

Pedestrians..... now you're just being obtuse.
  • alansd1980 wrote:
    This is going to be a controversial one...

All cyclists who commute on major roads, for example the cycle superhighways, should have to attend some kind of training. Similar to the CBT for scooters and motorbikes.
    I am sure this would reduce the number of accidents massively. The number of cyclists I see down by the road getting attended to by paramedics is rapidly increasing.

Have you attended a bikeability course?
  • bails87 wrote:
    chilling wrote:
    I'm not advocating licenses for cyclists.

And horse riders and pedestrians.

And Cat Drivers... :wink:

Powered wheelchair users
    Horse Drawn Carriage drivers
    Skateboarders
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    WHOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAA Slow down a minute - Driving theory test?

Just amke anyone who wants to cycle on the road pass the cycling proficiency test that is the highway code / driving thoery / practical as it applies to cyclists.

My kids did theirs through school.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I didn't know the cycling proficiency test was still a thing.

Has it been updated? I remember being taught all kinds of things that, in hindsight, could have got me killed. To hug the kerb, creep round the outside of roundabouts in the left-hand lane, etc.
  • bails87
    nation wrote:
    IHas it been updated? I remember being taught all kinds of things that, in hindsight, could have got me killed. To hug the kerb, creep round the outside of roundabouts in the left-hand lane, etc.

Probably not, it's taught to junior school aged kids, probably about 10 years old, so they probably have to spend a fair bit of time making sure they can simply ride a bike in a straight line before they get onto anything else.

The biggest change would be to force drivers to hang back, to leave space when passing and to think about what cyclists are doing. You can't really legislate for the last one though, and the first two could be legislated but would never be enforced.
    MTB/CX

• Origamist wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:
    This is going to be a controversial one...

All cyclists who commute on major roads, for example the cycle superhighways, should have to attend some kind of training. Similar to the CBT for scooters and motorbikes.
    I am sure this would reduce the number of accidents massively. The number of cyclists I see down by the road getting attended to by paramedics is rapidly increasing.

Have you attended a bikeability course?

I haven't done any courses but I have passed a CBT and have a driving license.

Not saying there arent things for me to learn but until its required very few people will actually do it
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • bails87 wrote:
    nation wrote:
    IHas it been updated? I remember being taught all kinds of things that, in hindsight, could have got me killed. To hug the kerb, creep round the outside of roundabouts in the left-hand lane, etc.

Probably not, it's taught to junior school aged kids, probably about 10 years old, so they probably have to spend a fair bit of time making sure they can simply ride a bike in a straight line before they get onto anything else.

The biggest change would be to force drivers to hang back, to leave space when passing and to think about what cyclists are doing. You can't really legislate for the last one though, and the first two could be legislated but would never be enforced.

Cycling proficiency training has evolved into Bikeability (it is aimed at adults and children). You can read more about the different levels here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/bikeability/
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    passing a driving theory test?

Having a laugh? A bike is so different to a car if you wanted some test it would have to be properly designed to target those areas appropriate to a bike. Then wha?t you have to pay for a licence? get a number plate? All costs money and has usually be shown to be not worth it and discourages people cycling. And I have certainly noticed that thanks to the driving test car drivers are so safe and considerate to other road users.

(ps I recently got my driving licence so did all the tests, - how about people with older licences?).
  • bails87
    Origamist
    Ah right, I thought bikeability was an optional adult thing. Well, assuming the schools round here were doing it (they use our road for the training as it's really quiet) they would have been the 10-11 year olds doing level 2.

Sounds better then when I did it, which was, as someone said earlier, "keep left and stay out of the way".
    MTB/CX

• Having a laugh? A bike is so different to a car

But the law applies equally to both.
  • bails87
    chilling wrote:
    Having a laugh? A bike is so different to a car

But the law applies equally to both.

Except licensing, speed limits, MOTs, VED....
    MTB/CX

• Except licensing, speed limits, MOTs, VED..

The law applies equally to both.

Obviously licensing, MOT etc are laws specific to motor vehicles and so wouldn't be applied to a cyclist.

I'm going to call that troll hunter........
  • bails87
    Okay, so the law applies to both except the law that only applies to one. Got it. :wink:
    MTB/CX

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I'm pretty sure that doing a bikeability course won't stop cyclists who already do so from running red lights... They're not doing it because of ignorance. They're doing it for convenience. Also, if it was a voluntary thing, the people who presumably would benefit the most from it, wouldn't bother.

Suggesting some kind of programme of training that isn't compulsory, but that some how everyone should do is quite frankly a silly idea. Car drivers have to pass a pretty comprehensive set of tests before they get their license, but a fair number of them still drive like gibbons.
  • Hmm,
    Ban all motorised vehicles from my commute every day between 7am and 7pm
    --Would save lots of bother
  • jamesco wrote:
    nation wrote:
    I'm a fan of presumed liability in the event of accidents, as exists on the continent. Basically it states that the driver of a larger vehicle has a greater duty of care than the driver/rider of a smaller vehicle or a pedestrian.
    +1

Pedestrians < cyclists < motorcyclists < cars < 4WD < trucks

Also, ban 4WDs from being registered anywhere within the M25.

hmmm how that works for places like epping forest i don't know. you keep on with the knee jerk stuff. :lol:
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • Advertising the bikeability more would be a good thing particularly where it's free/subsidised by councils. It was never mentioned when I bought my first commuting bike a couple of years ago - I found out about it later through a local community forum. And it's what really helped me become a regular competent commuter rather than feeling vaguely terrified in rush hour.

Bike law wise - I'll add all businesses to provide bike parking (whether that's individual or paying as a group for street provision) particularly where they provide car parking. And for NCP type carparks to provide some secure bike parking bays (even at a a charge) with lockers alongside for cycling paraphernalia.

Proper-width cycle lanes that motorised vehicles can't stray into would be good too.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    alansd1980 wrote:
    All cyclists who commute on major roads, for example the cycle superhighways, should have to attend some kind of training.

Did my cycling proficiency test when I was 9 or so. \o/

I am generally in favour of ensuring the cycling population have relevant road-related training, although I don't think it should lead to a licence that must be shown to the cops, for example, nor do I think a rider's lack of such training should be admissible as a factor in any legal proceedings he or she might get involved in.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • petejuk
    petejuk Posts: 235
    The idea of getting cyclists to pass some sort of theory test before being allowed on the road is just a nonsense idea in my opinion. It wouldn't work in the same way it doesn't make all car/bus/lorry drivers drive sensibly. The reason a test exists at all for motor vehicles is because of the extra responsibility that is required when propelling a large lump of metal along tarmac at high speed with other people doing the same.
    Now, getting back to the topic: I'd like to see opportunity given to every bike commuter the ability to jump every queue- not just on the road but the supermarket, local shop, bank and, most importantly, at the bar. On that note, first two pints free after work and half price tea and coffee at your chosen cafe. The government would subsidise this through the mileage scheme previously mentioned. :)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    edited September 2011
    On-road awareness is something that can be coached, I reckon, and it's better to have people riding bikes on roads who are aware of the what's expected of them as well as the risks posed by other traffic, rather than people who are oblivious to such things.

Even a basic understanding of the highway code is a start, since cyclists are expected to observe it as much as other vehicles. Note, I at least said "training" rather than "pass a test", because I agree that passing a test isn't a magic thing that will render a cyclist a well-behaved road user; and I'm also not keen in the idea that it should be compulsory, hence my other comment in the previous post.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    A blanket ban on those awful bike stands which only allow you to lock the front wheel?

Sheffield stands or bust.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    All women have to ride naked.

And trim their bush.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Nickel wrote:
    A blanket ban on those awful bike stands which only allow you to lock the front wheel?

Sheffield stands or bust.

Sheffield stands coated in foam or neoprene or something like that.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Pedestrians < cyclists < motorcyclists < cars < 4WD < trucks< Audis < SalesReps < minicabs
    Fixed that for you all.