Using a Desktop to power audio/home cinema etc...

15peter20
15peter20 Posts: 293
edited September 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi,

I have an oldish laptop with 1gb Ram. It's time to upgrade. I'm thinking about a Desktop as a better option for the home as I can still use the laptop for portable stuff and I want to get the most out of the Desktop as a media centre. Here's what I need / would like and I need to know if this is practical or even possible:-

1. Large storage for films, music, photos etc... - 1TB
2. Large RAM for running some resource hungry TACX VR cycling software - 8GB
3. A large screen to watch films on.
4. Decent sound/video cards and speakers for playing music

As regards point 3, I was thinking maybe an HDMI linking to an LCD TV and then a reasonable sized monitor for everyday work.

So what I really want is a powerful enough tower to kick out the media stuff I need.

Any advice and/or recommendations greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Sounds pretty simple stuff - any decent tower with the spec you are asking for should do everything you want.

Just 1 word of warning, you have to have a 64bit Operating System to access more than 4GB or RAM. If you buy a tower with 8GB and Windows included, it should be Windows 64 bit. If you build it yourself, you must buy Windows 64bit.

32bit operating systems are limited to accessing 3 and a bit GB or RAM.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension#Microsoft_Windows
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Just remember for a sound system you need watts and watts of power.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • It looks like the Tacx VR software is the only real driver for a high spec desktop machine - which is fair enough and I see why you would then make the machine a media centre. You've basically covered what you need above:
    - A lot of storage
    - Operating system and RAM to best run the software
    - Blue ray disc reader would make sense if you have Blue ray discs.
    - Make sure it has HDMI connection to get the Video and Audio to the TV
    - Ensure the graphics card can output HD (1080p) signals via the HDMI
    - Ensure the audio card can run Dolby Digital decoding
    - get a HD ready TV - as you are going to use a computer for media then you don't need all the net connected stuff (so can pick up an older, simpler model). Just get the best picture you can, and ideally a freeview HD tuner (will be 5 HD channels next year) and a digital optical audio out for connecting to a decent sound system, and at least 2 HDMI inputs (one for the computer in, and a spare for potential Sky box, PVR or other set top box in the future).
    - Buy a stereo / surround sound system with digital optical in, with Dolby Pro Logic II capability if a surround system. If the same brand as TV then they may operate as a single unit (one remote etc). Beware base model Samsung surround sound systems - I returned two of them for excess hum through the speakers :o(
    - Bookmark iPlayer, ITV.com and 4 OD along with Youtube
    - Use media software of your choice on the computer
    - Enjoy - switching 3 things on to play stuff can be a pain though!

You could use a TV tuner card in the computer instead of the TV, but then it means you'd need to switch the computer on to watch TV.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Get one with a volume control that goes up to 11.
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    AMD APU processor/graphics card will happily run 1080P all day and save you a few quid on a video card. I use a hybrid drive as boot disk and add a 2TB drive for media storage.

Some new motherboards have much higher quality sound cards (I like Asus). Build it yourself and save some more.
    FCN 12
  • belated thanks for all the replies.

I've just thought a projector might be better than a flatscreen with more flexibility.