Polocini Winter Sprinter 2 Sportive - October

polocini
polocini Posts: 201
Hi,

It's time to finish the 2011 Polocini Cyclosportive season the way we
started it with a nice ride around the rolling roads of Cheshire. This
event is free for all Riders who entered all previous Polocini events
which were The Winter Sprinter, Kegs n' Legs and Over'Tops. We want to
say Thank You for all of the support in 2011.

We have listened to rider feedback and added extra toilets,
streamlined the entry process and introduced a improved signage system
since the original Winter Sprinter.

There is a fixed entry price of £20 in accordance with our Polocini
Standard along with Prize Draws, expert cycling advice and even a free
post ride massage.

As usual all food and drink is included along with a CNP ProOption
nutrition pack worth £18.50.

At Polocini we can be bold enough to state that we HAVE the best food
at any sportive. At previous Polocini events we have had Viking
porridge, Beef goulash with pasta, Tuscan meatballs & pasta, Channa &
spiced couscous with mint yoghurt(v), Pasta with cream tomato sauce
(v), Pig in a bun, bratwurst with spiced potatoes and chicken &
chorizo jambalaya. Plus lots of goodies at our Feed Stations.

This will be the last Winter Sprinter using these routes as we are
revising and improving them for 2012................
30 MILES: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/47352036 A reasonably
flat route perfect for new sportive riders.
60 MILES: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/47353404 This is a fast
route with only a few 'lumps' towards the end.

Both routes have the option to climb the cobbles of Swiss Hill
http://www.youtube.com/user/Polocini?gl ... qZReVBk9TY

All riders who climb Swiss Hill will get a free photo!! This is
instead of our usual timed climb.

We will be using a simple manual timing system and results will be
emailed out and uploaded on to the British Cycling website. We have no
plans for a timed climb at this event. As we are offering the free
loyalty entry it is not cost effective to use a timing system.

You can enter here:
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events ... Sprinter-2

Thanks
AL

Comments

• Credit where credit is due, having completed this event yesterday and having taken part in three previous events, the polocini events are a cut above the rest

The claims about the best food are justified, I enjoyed a portion of pie peas and gravy at the end and the feed stops are second to none with a great selection of savory and sweet snacks.

They are well organised and signposted with great routes on quiet roads and no extra miles for the sake of it.

Well priced because they've got rid of the pointless extras eg a goody bag full of lealets free samples and a stupid neckscarf.

Pretty much everything I want in a sportive, I'll be back again. The bigger events could learn a thing or two.
  • Got to second that.

Did both Winter Sprinters this year and both were excellent; however for value this weekend's ride was the business. For starters there was pre race porridge and coffee, which I skipped having already stuffed half a pack of muesli down my throat. The feed stop was well stocked with Mr Kipling's finest etc., as well as baby bells, mini cheddars and peparami (never seen that before). At the finish a post ride recovery drink was thrust into my hands and then it was inside for pie, peas and gravy - the hot pot was gone by this stage - and coffee, and more cakes - all still included in the price. If you wanted there was also a free massage on offer. On top of all this there were some freebie giveaways at the start - gels, bottle and bars etc. and I think there is discount on ride photos.

The route was perfect for an end of season ride, mainly quite flat lanes with a few bumps towards the end. It was a shame the rain stopped play on Swiss Hill but that couldn't be helped. Signage was spot on and the event staff we very cheerful and helpful.

If there is a better value event (£20), offering the same quality and quantity of food etc., and support, please let me know. Like 'theboyjordan' says the big boys have got a lot to learn about putting on a great all-round experience.

I will be back in March
  • winton
    winton Posts: 165
    I know it seems like a Polocini love-in but I thought I'd add a little to the above. I have done two events this year with Al (one of which wasn't actually an official Polocini event but he was running the show) and the bit that sets him apart is that it is all about the riders. From an easy sign on, to great pre/post ride food, to the in race nutrition, it's all just perfectly thought out.

Run by a rider, for riders. Simple as that.
  • Crimmey
    Crimmey Posts: 207
    Just to add to the above, I am an Entry on the Line whore, a sportive organisers worst nightmare. On websites a few state no entry taken on the day yet from past experience they do so I just turn up and 'call their bluff'. This time however I was denied access and rightly so. I think this shows what a quality event the organiser has and is not just about raking the money in.

Despite the above the organiser said I was welcome to ride the route, offered his support, breakfast and at the end some of the food which I declined except for a coffee and recovery shake although a plate-full of pie and peas being wafted in my face was tempting.

THe ride, riders and atmosphere were excellent and would not hesistate to pre purchase my entry for a Polocini event. The only problem is that 2 of the summer events were on Saturdays and I can't do Saturdays!