giant trance x4

theboxer
theboxer Posts: 6
edited September 2011 in MTB general
hi their everyone i have a giant trance x4 i have only been mountain biking for 4 months now and me soul use is single track only this is the spec what would you upgrade first many thanks the boxer
FRAME AluxX SL aluminium, Fluid Formed,Maestro suspension system, 5''/127mm travel
FORK Rock Shox Reba SL Air 120mm travel, Motion Control with Poploc
SHOCK Fox Float R
HANDLEBAR RaceFace Ride XC riser
STEM RaceFace Ride XC
SEAT POST Giant A5 aluminium
SADDLE WTB Devo HP Comp
PEDALS N/A
SHIFTERS Shimano Deore 27 speed RapidFire Plus
FRONT MECH Shimano Deore
REAR MECH Shimano XT Shadow
BRAKES Hayes Stroker Ryde disc, 160mm rotors
BRAKE LEVER Hayes Stroker Ryde
CASSETTE Shimano HG50 11-34
CHAIN Shimano HG73
CRANKS RaceFace Ride XC X-Type 44/32/22
BOTTOM BRACKET RaceFace X-Type
RIMS Alex DP-17 26"
HUBS Formula Disc
SPOKES Stainless steel
TYRES Kenda Nevegal 26x2.1'' Stick-E front, DTC rear
*WEIGHT KG / LB 13.08 / 28.13

Comments

• anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    What ever wares out first
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    What year Trance is it ?] i'd guess at a 2009 by the rear shock,Looks to be pretty well spec'd as it is , are you happy with it ?But depends on how / what you ride, possibly wheels but that would be a big spend.[/b]
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Why.... what's wrong with it?

Nothing on there I'd change till it wears out. It's decently specced and light.

OTOH... if you want to bling it up with colour coded shiny bits... pedals, grips, seatclamp etc. and make it your own, knock yerself out. But honestly, any upgrades to anything that ain't broken won't see huge benefits.

Especially as you've only been biking 4 months... your skill level probably won't be at a level to take advantage of the better kit (IMHO).
    I'd spend money on days out and holidays :-)

At a stretch, I'd say the brakes are a bit wooden. You could get more feel from other brakes, but not necessarily any more power.

You might find that after riding it for 6 months there might be aspects of teh bike you don't like... or that you want a different sort of bke altogether... maybe lighter and racier, or more aggressive - depending on what sort of riding you enjoy. You could then buy stuff that suits your style more.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Thanks for your reply’s and your advice their is nothing I can see or feel wrong with the bike but then again I don’t think I would find anything wrong as I’m so inexperienced to the sport so thank you for your time