Medical Afflictions for Cyclists

spen666
spen666 Posts: 17,709
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
It seems to me from some random observations that many cyclists are afflicted by colourblindness, seemigly being unable to see red, especially when one is looking at a traffic light

I was wondering what other afflictions seemingly affect cyclists more than the majority of the country
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

Comments

• Twattery
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Arrogance? Social ineptitude? Delusions of grandure? Penis-envy? Or am I only thinking of one particular cyclist Spen666?
  • Q. Why did the cyclist go through the red light?
    A. Because he wanted to.
  • I have read that some riding positions cut off blood supply to the brain. Seems to afflict fixie riders the worst.
  • Maybe not a medical affliction, but mounting a bike gives some riders the feeling of immortality, they feel that battling a HGV or bus (or even car) into an ever narrowing gap will have a favourable outcome for them.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    An almost narcotic feeling of wellbeing and serenity when gliding in on a morning such as this.

Timothy Leary eat your heart out.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I tend to get really tight ITBs that cause me problems when I run. Also just general inflexibility, my hamstrings are knots...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah, poor flexibility, especially in the hamstrings.

My arms seem quite flexible but that's 'cos there's nothing there apart from a bit of bone to stretch.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Wouldn't this thread be better off in the Mountain Bike - Women section?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • there seems to be a large number with awesome low level light capable eyes given they must be able to see in the dark and thereby presume others can so don't use lights when they really need to.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • there seems to be a large number with awesome low level light capable eyes given they must be able to see in the dark and thereby presume others can so don't use lights when they really need to.

noticed that, dull wet day cars etc have lights on, and most of the bikes don't turn theirs on.

In fairness one could say that most folks bike lights are so low powered that you'd not notice them any way....
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    there seems to be a large number with awesome low level light capable eyes given they must be able to see in the dark and thereby presume others can so don't use lights when they really need to.

I'd forgotten that one

These seem to be related to those who believe that lights never need batteries replacing or recharging
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    there seems to be a large number with awesome low level light capable eyes given they must be able to see in the dark and thereby presume others can so don't use lights when they really need to.

I'd forgotten that one

These seem to be related to those who believe that lights never need batteries replacing or recharging

Or tyres inflating...
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Or chains oiling....
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • notsoblue wrote:
    I tend to get really tight ITBs that cause me problems when I run....

IT Boffins?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    notsoblue wrote:
    I tend to get really tight ITBs that cause me problems when I run....

IT Boffins?

Always begging for money off joggers?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.