Meeting Celebrities

13»

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Some very minor celeb encounters for me, have chatted with Swifty and Thomas, saw Sean Yates in a French hotel back in Motorola days, met Cav (he signed his book for my bro). David Harmon presented me with a prize for a time trial, then commentated on my famous victory over Russ Downing. Pretty sure I chatted to Roger Hammond in the gents in a bar in Morzine (I appreciate that sounds a bit dodgy!) Have met various Forest players, patted Steve Stone's shiney bonce at a gig at Rock City. Liv Tyler's left bap brushed past my elbow in a tiny Soho bar - she was gagging for it, had been dancing to all the tunes I put on the jukebox! :) Have met a few random bands, interviewed Drugstore back in the day, and got mistaken for the band at a Hopper gig in Nottingham. Happy days...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    oh yeah I've raced against Ben Swift while Thomas was shouting at me to egg me on.

both nice guys
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • celebrities = paracites (most of them anyway)
  • My girlfriend relates a strange celebrity meeting.

In the late 1980's she used to travel from Holland to do work experience lambing on a farm near Stratford upon Avon as part of her vet training. This involved being up at all hours looking after the lambs and their mothers of course. Late one night she was sat on a hayrick overlooking her pastoral charges, when she heard feet on a nearby ladder. Feeling rather nervous as a young woman alone in the middle of a strange country in the wee small hours, she watched the top of the ladder with trepidation. What should emerge but the unmistakeable form of Ben Kingsley, then at the peak of his fame! He looked around for a while, then returned into the night as mysteriously as he had arrived.

Thinking she was going mad or hallucinating from lack of sleep, my girlfriend quietly mentioned her nocturnal encounter to the farmer's wife, half expecting to be laughed at. 'Oh yes', she replied, 'he lives around here, he likes to look around the farms at times, and we don't mind!'

PS his old house there is on the market at the moment for £800,000 if you fancy it :wink:
  • The Clash, though I only really spoke to Joe Strummer. They were heading towards Newastle City Hall to see Graham Parker and the Rumour. I told them the gig was finished and they put me on the guest list for a tv recording the next night

had a couple of arguements with the singer out of the Cure

stood next to Pele in Central Park, regret not speaking to him
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I meet quite a lot of music celebs (if you can call it that)

guys from Kyuss were all really cool
    Lemmy nice enough
    Electric Wizard, Taz is great and an ace tattooist.
    Eyehategod/Down all really solid guys
    I go to football with Ben from Goblin a fair whack too.

Anyone heard of any of those :lol:

Wasn't Kyuss an early incarnation of QOTSA?
  • BigJimmyB
    Pross wrote:
    I would have made a dribbling mess on Catherine's presence.

FTFY
  • BigJimmyB
    Oh, and I had wee next to Onslow/Eddie Yeates and Les Dennis in a hotel loo once....

Lent Zoe Ball 50p
    Met Dennis Wise at a petting Zoo

Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint @ the HP set.
    The Chef from Fawlty towers (and also in McVicar)

Played a support slot for Athlete and Keli Ali (Sneaker Pimps)

Talk about friend to the stars...... :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited September 2011
    I have a couple of 'before they were famous'.

At University, in Halls of Residence, I was in the room next door to Matt Lucas.
    A housemate at Uni for two years was good friends with Derren Brown (he used to do hypnotism demonstrations for us).
    I also went to school with James Blunt, but I can't remember him at all. Also at school with Tony Blackburn's son - he used to come and watch me playing football (although he may have been there to see his son).

Nowadays, it's mostly rugby players I see. Lots and lots of them.

My favourite 'celeb' spot, though was Rhodri Morgan, at the time First Minister of Wales, trying to cross the road clearly the worse for wear after a rugby international.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • I think a rule for this thread should be that if you have to tell us what they've done then you really shouldn't consider them famous enough :P
  • RichN95.
    My brother has the best one though. When he was at school he was man of the match in a schools knock-out tournament quarter final. The opposition were captained by Andrew Strauss.
  • taz3611
    taz3611 Posts: 172
    Whilst working in Tescos a few years back I asked the girl who used to play the part of Stacey in Eastenders for I.D. as she looked about 12 and was buying 2 bottles of wine. She was really cool about it and never once gave the 'Do you know who I am bit'. Good job really, as I didn't.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    RichN95 wrote:
    My brother has the best one though. When he was at school he was man of the match in a schools knock-out tournament quarter final. The opposition were captained by Andrew Strauss.

Who?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    RichN95 wrote:

Who?

Descendant of Levi, of denim garment fame I suppose. :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95 wrote:

Who?

My brother. I thought I'd made that clear. :arrow: :wink:
  • I had a chat with a stark bollock naked Gazza in the local sports centre a couple of months ago, a very nice guy! :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • When I was a student in Cambridge I worked in Burger King to pay my way.. I served the Chuckle Brothers (complete with passing the tray 'from me to you, you to me!) They must have heard this a million times but played along.

Also served Chris Evett a couple times when I was working at a different BK and she was over here commentating on Wimbledon.

Once had a drink sitting next to Jean Paul Gaultier in a bar in Soho. He had a hot chocolate and asked for it in French. How continental!

And my favourite.. Had a meal in Giraffe in Milton Keynes and Ben Cohen was on the table next to me! Was very excited!

Sad really...
  • fizz
    fizz Posts: 483
    I went to see The Bluetones last year. After the gig ( which was excellent ) they were stood outside smoking, at this point I was quite drunk and I managed to overcome my natural shyness and I went and said "Great gig thanks" and I shook their hands. They asked me if there was anywhere local to get a drink that was decent so I told them the pub we were all going to next was Ok and invited them to join us

1/2 hr later or so I was dumbstruck when they trooped in. Once I got over the fact that Mark Morris was pumping £1 coins into the quix machine at a rate of knots and got over being star struck I talked to Mark a bit and then got chatting with Adam Devlin, they were without a doubt all thoroughly nice blokes, down to earth and were winding down after the gig, talking about their families and kids and asking us what we did for a living and that kind of stuff.

Was a brilliant evening all round.
  • When I was a student in Cambridge I worked in Burger King to pay my way.. I served the Chuckle Brothers (complete with passing the tray 'from me to you, you to me!) They must have heard this a million times but played along.

Awesome, best spot yet
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Awesome, best spot yet

Sounds like a whopper.
  • I grew up in Sydney. Working at a petrol station after school I once filled up James Bond's car. Which James Bond? George Lazenby.

I met Desmond Tutu at a church in Sydney, not long before apartheid collapsed. Amazing guy. He spoke in the tongue clicking South African language too.

And David Campese, for all his faults possibly the best rugby player of all time,
    who was happy to turn up at a primary school fete if it spread the rugby gospel