locks and shed security

SUPERSUTT
SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
edited September 2011 in MTB general
hi allim looking into locks and shed security and the question im asking is whats the best lock and chain to buy for secruring my bike in a wooden shed over night . the shed is secure as it can be as ive replaced allthe screws in the hinges and hasps with coach bolts and metel plates on the in side.in hope no one can get in but if they do ive bolted a ground anchor the the flags under the shed but need a good lock and chain/cable . iknow ifthe bikes been targeted it will go but the avarege thief should be put off. i was allso playing with the idea of installing an alarm but is that over kill

cheers sutty
falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
HT Merlin Malt one (sold)

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    Almax Series 4.

expensive but nigh on impregnable.
  • You want a concreted ground anchor ideally and an almax chain... Or two almax chains with one concreted in with some rebar through the ends as an anchor.

On the cheap, head to a boat chandler (sp?) and get some heavy duty anchor chain. Similar strength but a lot cheaper.
  • You want a concreted ground anchor ideally and an almax chain... Or two almax chains with one concreted in with some rebar through the ends as an anchor.

On the cheap, head to a boat chandler (sp?) and get some heavy duty anchor chain. Similar strength but a lot cheaper.
    the ground anchor is under the shed and bolted with metal plugs and cant be got at . the only way they can get to the ground anchor is by lifting up the shed it self.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    SUPERSUTT wrote:
    the shed is secure as it can be as ive replaced allthe screws in the hinges and hasps with coach bolts and metel plates on the in side.in hope no one can get in
    Big crowbar, break the wooden door. That's how they did mine (luckily bike wasn't in there at the time).

I don't bother much with secure looking locks. Scruffy beaten up shed that just makes you think there wouldn't be anything of value in there. Seems to work. Then again no one wants my bike anyway.
  • Ian43
    Ian43 Posts: 172
    Had mine nicked from my shed earlier in the year so my advice get a shed alarm more than anything. Even better advice keep it indoors, I have turned my understairs cuboard into a bike store and installed a ground anchor into the wall and D-locked mine to it.

As you say though if it is targeted and they really want it they will get it even coming through the roof has been known.
  • Ian43 wrote:
    As you say though if it is targeted and they really want it they will get it even coming through the roof has been known.

Exceptionally funny 3mins. If only all robbers were this awesome.
  • If someone knows you have an expensive bike in the shed and they want to steal it. Next to nothing is going to stop them. I’d concentrate on deterring the opportunist and make sure your insurance is adequate.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hence why I'm reluctant to use a bike rack on the car and try to get the bike out the car and in the shed or house as discretely as possible. Less chance people see you've got some expensive bike the better.
  • deadkenny wrote:
    Hence why I'm reluctant to use a bike rack on the car and try to get the bike out the car and in the shed or house as discretely as possible. Less chance people see you've got some expensive bike the better.

I do this too. I'm always on high scumbag and chavy kids alert when loading/unloading the car or going for a ride. My bike lives in the house and i even cover it on window cleaning day cos he's a bit shifty and i'm paranoid.

Snot green Canyon Nerve AM 8.0x
  • cheers for the advise but i know what the answer will be if i say to the wife its got to stay in doors she will probably kick me out in the shed im not to bad where i live its a cul-de-sack so not many passerbys walking around.and as for the alarm i probably will get one just hide it from view or even wire it into my house as the shed is right up against the backwall

Thanks guys for all your input .

• take a look at motorbike chains and locks, most are much beefier and bigger as they don't need to be light enough to pedal with.

Just dont drop the lock on your frame, it will chip! :oops:
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    As well as the ground anchor have it chain up to something else substantial , there some thing on the market thats basically a meaty bit of angle iron with an attachment point for a chain which you bolt to one of the main trusses in the shed with some kind of shear of bolts or some thing.
    I made my own bolted it to the roof trusses and then welded the bolts, and got some meaty chain,yes they could crow bar it off, but take a bit more time, makes a bit more noise and will have to carry a 6ft peice of heavy angle iron with the bike to which might make it stand out a bit.
    I have a small alarm in there too, if im away for a bit, the shed is always packed with kids garden stuff and i place loads of around the bike that will make noise if knocked over,aerosol cans,tin trays,hand my welding clamps on the bike,big cable ties around the wheels, just stuff that would slow a thief down an create noise.
    Other than that, make sure it is properly insured
  • I live in the middle of nowhere but rural crime is on the up. Was at a mates BBQ recently held behind his house, mid saturday afternoon and a white Transit pulled around the corner with two sketchy looking blokes inside- the road is a dead end, marked private and they weren't delivering anything. With 20 pairs of eyes on them they made a quick u turn but we took their number anyway.
    My bikes, chainsaw,tools etc are in a rather flimsy shed too, I should really bring them indoors until I get a decent shed built. The crap one could have the hinges unscrewed from the outside regardless of the lock...
    I came home from walking the dog recently and found a delivery note on the doorstep saying"parcel in shed". I was bemused as it had the padlock on it so checked the woodsheds, nothing in there. At that point my neighbour came up the shared driveway and said "the parcels in the shed", I said "it can't be it's locked". She then said the delivery driver had wangled the bolt past the padlock(one of those "brenton" type ones from B&Q) and relocked it the same way! !
  • Insure it and then lock it up as per insurers instructions (and take photos)

As said if a thief knows where it is and really wants it there isnt much that will stop them. At least if its insured you will get a replacement.

Check the small print about sheds though, most wont cover wooden sheds. Ive got mine with ETA and they says as long as it is in a lockable building (wooden sheds count) then its covered.

Ive got a motorcycle chain and ground anchor securing mine anyway to stop the opportunist thief but the combined cost of the insurance and lock was less that a decent lock and ground anchor (ok so i have to pay for insurance annually but it has other benefits!)
  • All mine are in the spare bedroom locked to the wall with my rather large dog sleeping on the landing, better than any lock i could buy. :lol:

But seroiusly if they want it from the shed or garage they will get it as most of the time these muppets actually target you by driving around known trail centres and races mainly Crits as its a closed circuit with lots of £5k road bikes leaning on cars and they just pop them in the back of there van while your signing on.

They also follow you home which has happened to two of my mates one of which had 5 bikes stolen from the garage total value £15k and they were cut away with bolt croppers and as for sheds they are crap for securing bikes as you can actually pull the panels off with a crow bar.

I know its not ideal for some people but the safest place is in your house as they will be less likely to break in there and lets face it if you only have one bike as lots do surely you can find room for that and if the missus moans about space put her in the shed as if they stole her they'd soon bring her back.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB