Well behaved ride.....

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
In the middle of my 11-mile commute, today, I found myself behind an unmarked
police car (a Honda Civic), identifiable by the flashing LED-type lights, just visible
in the rear window, below the parcel shelf, and being much better behaved than normal :)

Now I don't consider that I flout that many laws on my regular commute, but when I felt that I was being observed by the Police, my riding style changed considerably; i.e., no red light jumping, no pavement mounting, no track stands, no weaving in and out of traffic, 'low-risk' cycling if you like.

Just wondered if others consider themselves well-behaved, or would your riding be different
if you felt you were being watched by John Q. Law :wink:
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    My riding would be exactly the same. I'd still weave in and out of traffic but otherwise my riding follows the highway code.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    My riding would be exactly the same. I'd still weave in and out of traffic but otherwise my riding follows the highway code.
    +1 - I've no time for RLJers... can't see the point, why risk your life and possibly someone else's to not save any time as I always overtake them, they should just learn to ride quicker... and don't get me started on idiots on pavements, seen too many close shaves for comfort... However, nothing illegal about a track stand AFAIK (other than I can't actually do one!)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • prb007 wrote:
    my riding style changed considerably; i.e., no red light jumping,
    Petrol....match.....hmmmm toasty
  • I'm relatively new to this cycling lark, what is a track stand?

As for being on pavements, then if you ride at next to 0 miles per hour then I don't see aproblem purely with being on the pavement. I also don't agree with RLJ'ing but that's an entirely different debate as has been had onhere many times!
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Keith1983 wrote:
    I'm relatively new to this cycling lark, what is a track stand?

As for being on pavements, then if you ride at next to 0 miles per hour then I don't see aproblem purely with being on the pavement. I also don't agree with RLJ'ing but that's an entirely different debate as has been had onhere many times!

Trackstand is keeping your feet on the pedals while at a standstill, usually while waiting for a green light.

You can walk at 3mph pretty easily. Adults riding on the pavement when there's an alternative are obnoxious (to put it mildly).
  • prb007 wrote:
    In the middle of my 11-mile commute, today, I found myself behind an unmarked
    police car (a Honda Civic), identifiable by the flashing LED-type lights, just visible
    in the rear window, below the parcel shelf, and being much better behaved than normal :)

Now I don't consider that I flout that many laws on my regular commute, but when I felt that I was being observed by the Police, my riding style changed considerably; i.e., no red light jumping, no pavement mounting, no track stands, no weaving in and out of traffic, 'low-risk' cycling if you like.

Just wondered if others consider themselves well-behaved, or would your riding be different
    if you felt you were being watched by John Q. Law :wink:

How much longer did it take seeing you didn't behave like a "see you next Tuesday"
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Joelsim wrote:
    +2

Although I do stop breaking into houses and mugging folk when I see the Police.
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    [quote=

How much longer did it take seeing you didn't behave like a "see you next Tuesday"[/quote]

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

maybe 4mins over a 40 min commute!
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...