Commuting down the Bath-Bristol railway path

gsvbagpuss
gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
Anyone go this way (either direction.)? Am hoping to start doing this a few times a week from Weston to Filton. Any top tips to be aware of?

Comments

• I take it you'll be turning off at Mangotsfield (old railway station) and following the ring road? That's a nice route, I'll be doing it myself daily from December. No tips as such, other than to say it gets quite busy (especially in better weather).

If you were following the old railway track all the way to central Bristol I'd be warning you about little scrotes occasionally throwing stuff at you, leaving logs on the track (when it's dark) etc when you go through Fishponds and Easton.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    That's a 30 mile E/W trip. I wouldn't use the cyclepath to get to Filton unless your destination is close to it, use Concorde Way instead which puts you up by Abbey Wood/MOD.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    That's a 30 mile E/W trip. I wouldn't use the cyclepath to get to Filton unless your destination is close to it, use Concorde Way instead which puts you up by Abbey Wood/MOD.
    I assume you're thinking of Weston Super Mare? Given the thread title I assumed the OP meant Weston in Bath which is around 16-17 miles from Filton.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Doh! There is also North Weston just outside Portishead. The Ring Road path is not lit IME though I've only riden during the day and didn't see any lighting but you are beside the road so some light will filter through the trees.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee wrote:
    Doh! There is also North Weston just outside Portishead. The Ring Road path is not lit IME though I've only riden during the day and didn't see any lighting but you are beside the road so some light will filter through the trees.

I can confirm the ring road path is very dark at night and a bright front light is essential. The biggest hazard is pedestrians and other cyclists who have no lights.
  • Cheers all!

@Godders1 Yes, I meant Weston in Bath :) I did think Mangotsfield looked a poorer route, until I saw the other way went through Fishponds ;) I'll see you on there then...
  • GSVBagpuss wrote:
    Cheers all!

@Godders1 Yes, I meant Weston in Bath :) I did think Mangotsfield looked a poorer route, until I saw the other way went through Fishponds ;) I'll see you on there then...
    thumbs_up_smiley.gif
  • You could go through Fishponds - that's my alternative route when I want a bit of a challenge. The hills either side of the M32 are pretty steep!
  • I use this all the time. It's quite safe, but I wouldn't suggest riding alone late at night, use the same common-sense you would in any dark area. Lighting on unlit sections of the path was installed about 2 years ago which make it easier at night. If you're commuting at regular times, you'll be joined by a lot of other cyclists :)

The mugging problem we had about three years ago was down to a local gang in Easton who jumped out of the bushes. they have now been cut right back and there's CCTV at the Russel Town Avenue entrance. The path is fine for commuting although at this time of year, it suffers a bit from wet leaf mulch or 'tire lube' as a friend puts it. Use the path, the worst thing that's likely to happen to you is getting a puncture :wink:
    "Anything for a weird life"

Zaphod Beeblebrox