Tubeless Conversion

S_workman
S_workman Posts: 13
edited September 2011 in The workshop
Hey guys

After getting two punctures this week on the way to work I have decided to convert my wheels to tubeless using Stan's notubes kit. I currently ride a Bianchi Camaleonte 2 with Jalco DRX6000 rims. There doesn't appear to be a lot of information regarding conversion of hybrid wheels on the internet. So I have 2 questions:

1) What is the correct kit to use for my 700 * 32C tyres?

2)Can I use standard tyres or do I have to use tubeless (couldn't find any 700 * 32C tubeless tyres)?

Thanks for your help.

Scott.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You can use most standard tyres, the sealant will seal the sidewalls.

I don't know what kit to use, Stans should have an explanation of the different kits. FWIW, I used it on an MTB and found it to be unreliable, no better than tubes and more of a faff to sort when it did fail compared to patching/replacing a tube.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thanks for the reply, was it failing due to not getting a good seal on the rims or when you got a puncture? have you had any experience with self sealing tubes?

Thanks again.

Scott.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Both!

Some tyres were a nightmare to fit, so much so that I broke my track pump, others seemingly inflated and sealed only for several doses of sealant to leak out whenever it was left to seal overnight. And then I got pinch punctures that meant I had to take out the rim strip, pour out the little bit of sealant that hadn't been sprayed all over me and the bike and fit a tube. Then one time I did a little wheelie/manual, when the front wheel went back down the tyre pretty much fell off the rim, the fornt lost all pressure and flipped me off the bike.....

I don't know if road tyres would be more reliable, and I accept that not everyone has as bad an experience as me! :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."