Cube AMS rear shock bushing

jonnyboy66uk
jonnyboy66uk Posts: 260
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all..

I have a 2010 Cube AMS 100 and I love the bike, A great ride and at the time a great spec at the right price for me..

I have had for 16 months now and I do a lot if riding, At least 3 proper outings a week combined with visits to various trail centres and around 3 trips a year to the lakes or wales..

But.. I seem to be getting through rear shock bushings like there is no tomorrow... Its the actual Fox insert in the rp23 that wears and leads to considerable slack in the rear set up.. I replace the bushings myself and I now on set number 3 and at 25 quid a time its money i could spend on something else... Is it common place for these bushings to wear this quickly?

Anyone else have issues with fox / cube bushings?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I recently fitted some 'Strong Bushings' from BETD (with Hula Hoop bushes - wtf?).
    Look pretty robust and BETD say they last much longer - as they would.
    http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk ... ong+Bushes

TF Tuned also sell similar and have a size calculator.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    And they are less than £25 - TF Tuned make custom top hats for £20.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Great stuff... I will give the hula hoop bushes a go... I already have a spare few sets of top hats so for now just the hula hoops, Lets hope they do last longer..

Thanks for the tip...
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You could try needle rollers instead. I ran them on my enduro and they were silky smooth and didn't wear out in 2 years of abuse. I wish I could get a needle kit for my stumpy frame as it is bushless on the lowers. Spesh claim the link bearings deal with it but I'm not convinced.

You don't need to spend anything like 20 quid on bushings btw.
  • cooldad
    I tried finding roller bearings but only seem to be available for Spesh Enduro.

The bushings are only a few pounds, but BETD also sell 'strong' bushings which replace the top hats with a one piece stainless steel jobby with a collar. You don't need to buy that as well, just the hula hoops, which are supposed to last longer than standard. Who knows but they are yellow.

I had worn the top hats as well so replaced everything - the new ones seem much better as being one piece they do not flex - with the wear, the bolt was bent as well with the standard top hats.

Couldn't find the actual Kona ones (or same size replacements) anywhere else anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools