Changing The Chain Rings.

shanu82
shanu82 Posts: 3
edited September 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

I'm new to all this so hopefully this isn't too stupid a question.

This year I've started to get more and more in to riding, I currently have a Giant Yukon (08) the bike is standard with the exception that I have changed the tyres to Schwalbe Marathons due to the fact that I have been doing a lot of road work.
I love the bike but after having a go on a road bike (didn't like the riding position) I have found that I would prefer a larger chain ring so I can get some additional on road speed.

The current set up is :
Cranks Brand: TruVativ
Cranks Model: ISO Flow
Gearing: 22/32/42

I've seen that you can get 48T chainrings for MTB's. With my standard set-up is it as simple as just replacing the 42T chain ring with a 48T or would I need to replace the whole chain set? Would I need to replace the cranks?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You would need to check that the larger ring would clear the chainstay and the mech can be moved up enough.
    Would probably need a new chain.
    Check mech capacity - take small chainring size from large and add difference between the largest and smallest cogs. Capacity of mech is 45 I think for Shimano long cage.
    So you would be slightly over the limit assuming 11/32 rear.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    You would need to check that the larger ring would clear the chainstay and the mech can be moved up enough.
    Would probably need a new chain.
    Check mech capacity - take small chainring size from large and add difference between the largest and smallest cogs. Capacity of mech is 45 I think for Shimano long cage.
    So you would be slightly over the limit assuming 11/32 rear.

Thanks for the response cooldad. Your assumption would be right an 11/32 rear.

Could I upgrade the mech or am I looking at a change all round? Rear Cassette, derailleur, mech and chainset?
  • cooldad
    Only thing really is a 46 tooth front ring.
    But the mech would probably be ok with the bigger one as long as you stayed out of the big/big combo.
    If you went into it by mistake it might rip the mech off, but might be ok. Marginal.

You could also change the cassette as well. A smaller one would be ok - 11/28 or so.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Changing the rest won't help as it is the mech capacity, and a long cage is as long as they get.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools