Tyre pressure survey

vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
Please vote on the tyre pressure for your favoured commuting bike for this time of year or the one your are using at the moment

If you run different pressures front and back give the front pressure...

psi to bar conversions in the poll are very approximate, don't worry about it

Comments

• 100PSI..... why not, nice and easy to remember.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Typically between 100 and 110, but I pumped up the other day after a couple of weeks of lazyness and they'd gone down to 75!
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Yep, 100-110 here too, for commuting.

120 for racing, but lower that to 95 off if raining.
  • less than 80 psi here, on a SS road bike paniers etc with 25mm marathon pluses.

the tyres have tough side walls so i run them soft. 50-60 front and 70-80 rear.

fast enough to get me over 30mph on the flat, and can handle a bit of rough.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    6 bar
  • Not sure why you're asking but surely pressure alone isn't very useful/interesting if you don't know the tyre width?

I run both at 80psi (28mm tyres).
  • Godders1 wrote:
    Not sure why you're asking but surely pressure alone isn't very useful/interesting if you don't know the tyre width?

whereas I run my 28mm at 105-110.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Godders1 wrote:
    Not sure why you're asking but surely pressure alone isn't very useful/interesting if you don't know the tyre width?

You would also need rider weight
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    100PSI..... why not, nice and easy to remember.

:lol:

+1
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Godders1 wrote:

whereas I run my 28mm at 105-110.
    My M+ have 80 as the max written on the sidewall (and it works for me) so that's what I stick to. I dare say they could take quite a bit more.

I think it's commonly accepted that width and pressure are related (i.e. that wider tyres generally require lower pressure).
  • Usually about 110psi in the front and 120 in the back. I like it firm, I like to feel the road beneath my wheels...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Godders1 wrote:
    ]My M+ have 80 as the max written on the sidewall (and it works for me) so that's what I stick to.

I'm sure mine say more than that, my bikes quite a way from my office so haven't time to check at mo. Are you talking 26" or proper size? :wink:
  • Godders1 wrote:
    ]My M+ have 80 as the max written on the sidewall (and it works for me) so that's what I stick to.

I'm sure mine say more than that, my bikes quite a way from my office so haven't time to check at mo. Are you talking 26" or proper size? :wink:

Ahh the width, it does make a difference. I just Googled my own question. 8)
  • 65psi 1.5 Marathons
  • 5.5 on the dot. The recommended psi for my MTB slicks.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    5.5 on the dot. The recommended psi for my MTB slicks.

5.5 psi seems very low to me, even for wider MTB tyres.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    crikey.

around 35psi (around 2.4 bar) front and back here. maybe a little less in the front.

Maxxis ADvantage 2.25" width.

although...the back is very nearly shredded, so looking to switch over to tubeless (since my rims are compatible and i have the valves, tape and fluid)....and some nice winter tyres....maybe the bonty mud x.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    crikey.

around 35psi (around 2.4 bar) front and back here. maybe a little less in the front.

although...the back is very nearly shredded, so looking to switch over to tubeless (since my rims are compatible and i have the valves, tape and fluid)....and some nice winter tyres....maybe the bonty mud x.

35psi? Jeez, you must be constantly bouncing off the rims and getting snake bites...! Even car tyres are up to 50 or 60psi aren't they? Never owned a car so not sure...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I read somewhere that for some tyres (I don't know which ones) the way the value for the pressure written on the side of the tyre is worked out.
    Its half the value at which the tyre is pumped up to get it to come off a rim.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I have 25mm Bontrager Racelite Hardcases and keep them at 8 bar
    This is quite high pressure for 25mm but they seem to like it that way
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    cee wrote:
    crikey.

35psi? Jeez, you must be constantly bouncing off the rims and getting snake bites...! Even car tyres are up to 50 or 60psi aren't they? Never owned a car so not sure...

Don't know.....the chart at the garage says my car tyres should be 32psi.

but....nah...it is a mountain bike though and as I say, the tyres are 2.25" wide....so an awful lot more volume than I suspect most on here use for the commute....

For me...I dont want the hassle of either:

a. a commute/city specific bike
    b. changing the tyres over every other day.

and i do like to ride home the long way which means I get some daily singletrack time.

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    crikey.

cars are normally 30psi lorries etc can have very high pressures.

mtb tyres are not only wider but plenty have beefy side walls to allow very low pressures.

I run at 30psi and thats off road so roots lumps etc at speed. some go 20psi or even lower.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    100psi on the 24mm couriers on the fixie, 85 psi on the 35's on the CX.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    100psi on the 24mm couriers on the fixie, 85 psi on the 35's on the CX.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yep, low pressure for MTBs (and cars), as the tyre acts as micro suspension.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cee wrote:
    crikey.

cars are normally 30psi lorries etc can have very high pressures.

mtb tyres are not only wider but plenty have beefy side walls to allow very low pressures.

I run at 30psi and thats off road so roots lumps etc at speed. some go 20psi or even lower.

My race car runs at 24psi hot pressure (means starting them at 18psi cold) and they are road legal tyres. The pressure is all about the contact patch - pounds per square inch
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    cee wrote:
    crikey.

Depends on the weight and size of the car but typically a family hatchback will be around the 30psi ballpark. You'd be suprised firm 35psi in an mtb tyre can be, I've only managed to pinch flat a couple of times on fast rocky descents and never on the road. Course, 35 psi in a road bike tyre on the other hand.... :P
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    My LBS put my new tyres on a few weeks ago and I asked what pressure, he said 100psi. Anyway a couple of months later I tested them, one was at 30psi, the other 35psi.

Needless to say they are now back at 100psi!
  • When I collected my tourer from the man who had built it for me I asked what pressures? "about 75" was the answer. So 70 in the front and 80 in the rear, they are 28's and i check them each week. No problems, despite being a bit of a l*rd*rse.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Joelsim wrote:
    My LBS put my new tyres on a few weeks ago and I asked what pressure, he said 100psi. Anyway a couple of months later I tested them, one was at 30psi, the other 35psi.

Needless to say they are now back at 100psi!

You only checked a COUPLE OF MONTHS later and you couldn't tell the difference between 35 ish and 100 ish without a gauge? :roll:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!