The 'A time before the internet' thread

13»

Comments

• There are some seriously long posts in this thread.

I'm old enough to remember when the tv programmes finished at night, and when breakfast tv was some beardy bloke explaining black holes (greg66 was the presenter I think). Phones with dials, the yellow pages, Michael Foot, aurthur skargill and Derek hatton. In those days left wing was really left.
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    What is this internet of which you speak ?

I've just written a program in COBOL to submit this message, using a card punch, and given it to my mainframe operator. Tomorrow morning I'll get a run report to let me know if it worked.

Heh, tenner on a syntax error and you might need an editing suite... or holepunch.
    Doesn't sound like you've done much editing on an IBM 029 cardpunch. It had a reader as well as a punch, so you could cut and paste from one card to another. Awesome keyboard.

I've been paid to work with punch cards, on a - then ancient - IBM1131 minicomputer Between school & Uni. Main thing I was supposed to be doing was porting some weird Fortran anova from the 1131 to an Apple II.

Already quite familiar with Fortran & punched cards - I'd persuaded Newcastle Uni to give me a student account on their IBM370/168.

Setting fire to stuff. With Sodium Chlorate. Airfix & Tamiya models. Vision On. Siouxsie, Joy Division on OGWT. 7" singles.

Doing A-level Chemistry homework with books from a public library.

Overcooking it on one of the haipins coming down from Hartside pass, towards Penrith. Got off lightly - slight ding in front rim, couple of bruises. Buying a spoke spanner in Penrith to straighten the wheel & not knowing what to do with it.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It seems like all the old duffers (no offence :wink: ) used to start fires. Kids still do that so all is not lost. :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."