Tour of Britain

2»

Comments

• I did enjoy Stage 3 a great deal - but then I've cycled huge swathes of the stage myself, so it's always good to see your local roads on TV

(I say local... now ex-local as I lived just down the road from Uttoxeter and I cycled the roads around Stoke when I was a student)

I think they should do the Sheffield 100 as a stage personally.... :twisted:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    Yes Page 2 - (Hands Aloft) -oops sorry wrong thread.

scuttle scuttle

you just went the wrong way, sagan like, at the roundabout......ha ha you'll never catch the peloton now.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Im pretty excited at the prospect of the suffolk/norfolk stage on saturday. I can't make my mind up where to watch them though. Got to laugh at the KOM stages though, we barely have a hill let alone a mountain!
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel
  • Cycling in Britain on free-to-air TV really feels like a luxury and, having just watched today's stage highlights, I have to say, Wales was looking gorgeous today. And the forecast's good for Dartmoor (or is it Exmoor?) tomorrow.
  • Yep, another exciting race. Loving the sheer number of attacks. What about Hushovd, though? That man is pure class.
  • Been watching this the last couple of nights and enjoying this, another cracking stage last night, can't wait for tonight.

David
  • The place of this event on the calendar is pretty good - tune up for the worlds - means you get to see some top class riders.

I watched a stage up Mennock pass a couple of years ago. Outside of London, its not a day trip I don't think, more of a chance o pop out for a coupe of hours if it passes close to where you live. I particularly liked the tannoy car which came by to tell you what you were about to see.

Think there should be more giant green hands given out to spectators though.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    309596_10150283975142136_681802135_8219074_1323240756_n.jpg

Well that's how close I got to the cyclists today. In fact got a little too close to Cav when the front wheel of his bike ran over my foot. He did apologise :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale wrote:

Well that's how close I got to the cyclists today. In fact got a little too close to Cav when the front wheel of his bike ran over my foot. He did apologise :lol:

Get your foot on Ebay quick!
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    NGale wrote:

Hang on Cav actually apologised for something? and the world didn't end? I think we need to get the BBC involved.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Torvid wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Hang on Cav actually apologised for something? and the world didn't end? I think we need to get the BBC involved.

:lol:

He was actually quite polite about it. but no there was no world shattering end :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Just back from watching Stages 8a and 8b. Well only the last 4 riders on 8a as I did my Sunday club run first then into London. Forgot to take my lock so had to keep bike with me, so couldn't get onto the start/finish line (Stewards wouldnt let me - H&S, yeah right :roll: ). Ended up parking myself on the last corner so had a good view on the straight up from Westminster Bridge and also towards the finish line. Was a great atmosphere and got chatting to some very knowledgable people, including an old guy and his wife who were in their 80's - they watched the TdF finish in Paris this year, and the Tourmalet stage last year, and its transpired that he was actually a competitor in his 30's (so guess thats 1950/60s) but I didn't like to ask who he was or if he was any good! Anyway it passed the time between the laps. Didn't see Cav win but the cheer from the crowd made it obvious he had. Got to watch the highlights now to see if I'm in any of the shots... (and Cav's win!)
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I was up at the other end and failed to spot myself - no problem, I've got mirrors at home...

Watching the highlights, I was surprised to see that they turned right into Parliament Square. When I last looked at the map I could have sworn the route went over Westminster Bridge with a U-turn when they realised they didn't have passports for the south bank.
  • I was up at the other end and failed to spot myself - no problem, I've got mirrors at home...

Watching the highlights, I was surprised to see that they turned right into Parliament Square. When I last looked at the map I could have sworn the route went over Westminster Bridge with a U-turn when they realised they didn't have passports for the south bank.
    Yes, that was odd. There were two maps...one with the bridge and one without... the bridge was included in the Skyride route the other week and I wonder if they got mixed up somewhere. The route was always 8.8k and that can't include the bridge. The official route never included the bridge:
    The stage follows the curve of the Embankment, under the watchful gaze of the London Eye opposite, until reaching the end of Westminster Bridge, where two right turns in rapid succession, the first outside Portcullis House, take The Tour past Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament for a great photo opportunity.

BTW, I did see me on the TV, I'm the 3rd blue blob to the left of the traffic lights :lol: Maybe more recognisable in HD, but for some reason I can't get ITV4HD on Freeview or Virgin.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • I had an hour out with the camera today - thought it would be rude not to as it's in walking distance from home - was quite fun til it started peeing down!

A few photos:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 1ec&type=1
  • Quality! I think we Brits can allow ourselves to feel very proud of a quality tournament. Any news on who will be televising the World Championships?
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I know there on eurosport, today has the under 23 male and female TT. The ladies kick it off about 11 today.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    Quality! I think we Brits can allow ourselves to feel very proud of a quality tournament. Any news on who will be televising the World Championships?

BBC Red button & website live coverage:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_ ... 345480.stm

Also:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015cp4g
    and
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015cqkd

but I think these must be highlights programmes.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I implore you to watch the Eurosport coverage and not the BBC coverage.

The BBC commentator is AWFUL at a) picking out who's who, b) what's going on and c) soothing the ear on what can be very long and dull parts.

It's a 260km+ race, not all of it is full on drama.

He's from the track and you can sooo tell.
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    I would if I could, but I can't. As such, I am only too familiar with Hugh's shortcomings. Last year's finale being an example where he didn't spot that Pip Gilbert got caught...
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Got some great pics on Sunday, only the TT though - was only meant to be in London to catch The Lion King matinee with the missus and I had enough trouble persuading her that we can do both...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    risi wrote:
    Quality! I think we Brits can allow ourselves to feel very proud of a quality tournament. Any news on who will be televising the World Championships?

BBC Red button & website live coverage:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tv_and_ ... 345480.stm

Also:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015cp4g
    and
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015cqkd

but I think these must be highlights programmes.
    Whoop it's on my work from home day :D

I thought you needed to pay for Eurosport but I've just switched it on and it seems you don't :D

I am a happy cycling fan this evening.
  • I have to say - from what I've seen the organisation of the ToB was brilliant - I find it amazing that they don't close the roads all day, just for long enough to allow the race through.

Some great routes as well - I think the Cheddar Gorge was my favourite - from the air, looking at the peleton snaking its way up was stunning.

It really is a different (and I think) more technical Tour than the TdF. our smaller roads mean that more thought is put into the actual route (for the competitors)

Oh yeah, and for the Embankment crowd: just how much faster was the race than your normal high speeds? Some of the overhead shots were showing some seriously high speeds!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter