Maximum tyre width on Shimano RS10s

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited September 2011 in The workshop
The external width of the rim is given as 20.8mm, but I can't find an internal figure.

Does anyone know what the maximum sensible tyre size would be for these? Shimano reckon 19-25mm, but if running wider tyres in the winter means new wheels, (as well as new frame and brakes) then I might as well just drive to work!
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• bails87 wrote:
    The external width of the rim is given as 20.8mm, but I can't find an internal figure.

Does anyone know what the maximum sensible tyre size would be for these? Shimano reckon 19-25mm, but if running wider tyres in the winter means new wheels, (as well as new frame and brakes) then I might as well just drive to work!

Why do you want something wider for the winter?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    Either Ice spikers, or CX tyres for on the towpath.
    MTB/CX

• gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    In the winter I occasionally run Conti travel contact tyres on the R500s; 700 x 37 and these are fine, the only problem I get is the nobbles rubbing on the mudguard.
  • bails87 wrote:
    Either Ice spikers, or CX tyres for on the towpath.

Have you got clearance for a 35c tyre like the Marathon Winter? I'm reasonably sure they'd fit the wheel (I have some RS10s and Marathon Winters at home - I could check)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87

Have you got clearance for a 35c tyre

No, not on the Ribble, the plan was to get a CX frame and swap all the bits, apart from the 105 caliper brakes, over to the new frame, then use that for winter (or if I like it, all year round and sell the carbon Ribble frame, seeing as the only road riding I do is commuting)

But....if it meant new wheels, as well as a new frame, forks and canti brakes then I could just go for a Boardman CX (£810) or a Voodoo Limba (alu frame, carbon seatstays and forks, 105, raceface finishing kit) which I could get for £630 (my local halfords has a couple left at £700, and I can get a 10% discount on vouchers) seeing as that would mean spending not that much more, but avoiding the hassle of swapping stuff over.

It sounds like they would work though. I have an idea of what's sensible for an MTB tyre on a certain width rim, but wasn't sure what the 'rules' were on the road side of things.

Edit, then I had a look at the cheap Carrera road bikes, the Virtuoso and the TDF one, for example, I could get for ~£250 and ~£300 respectively, despite being road bikes, they've got pretty big clearances, so could do as a winter 'hack' road bike?

Edit again: Actually, I don't want two road bikes! :lol:
    MTB/CX

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I want to say the max recommended tyre size for the RS10's is 28mm but I can't find the link where I saw that and I have been looking at so many wheels of late I could be wrong.

That doesn't mean you can't run bigger on them I just don’t know how that would perform.

Edit (From my nerdy excel comparison sheet I was working up)

Product Name: Shimano WH-RS10 Wheelset

Manufacturer: Shimano

Item Code: SHI106298

Season: 2010

Material: rims: aluminium, spokes: stainless steel

Weight: approx. 1.859 Kilogram (set, without quick releases)

Spokes number: front 16, rear 20

Over locknut distance: front 100mm/rear 130mm

Fitting type of tire: clincher

Fitting tire dimension: 19/28-622 (700c)

Purpose: Training, Competition

Fitting for shifting: Shimano 8/9/10-speed

Smallest sprocket: 11 teeth

Color: silver, black

Included in delivery: incl. quick releases
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • I went the Boardman CX route for the winter and extreme wet days - guards & discs make for a better ride and it has the clearance for the Marathon W***ers. I think it's a great compromise for an all-year commuting bike.
  • bails87
    I went the Boardman CX route for the winter and extreme wet days - guards & discs make for a better ride and it has the clearance for the Marathon W***ers. I think it's a great compromise for an all-year commuting bike.

I'm being increasingly tempted by the idea of selling the Ribble and buying a Boardman CX to replace it.....
    MTB/CX

• This is quite useful:

http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions

I am looking for tyres to suit my Mach 1 250 Disc Rims which will only take 700x28c and greater (I was hoping to try a 700x25c actually).

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url