Bicycle elevator in Norway

SimonAH
SimonAH Posts: 3,730
edited September 2011 in Commuting chat
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Comments

• Aweseome
    Focus Cayo Pro
    Cotic Soul custom
    Merida Cross 4
    Planet X Dirty Disco custom cyclocross
    Tern D8 clown bike
  • Now this would make next year's attempt at the L'Étape du Tour that much easier :)

Playing Devil's Advocate though, I think these sort of inventions for most people would take the pleasure out of cycling in its purest form - ie man (or woman) vs the road.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • Those wacky Norwegians - always smoking something
  • DDD should lobby for one of those to be installed on Balham Hill.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I like their thinking.

Lots of old people cycle. We want them to continue cycling so we'll give them a bike-lift to get up the hill so they're not put off cycling.

Who'd have thought eh?
  • It also explains why Thor Hushovd struggles in the mountains.
  • It also explains why Thor Hushovd struggles in the mountains.

:lol:
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    That's not even a hill!

Now, if it was a steam powered catapult to launch you onto Embankment....
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Not very fast though is it. :D Could do with knocking it up a few mph and slingshotting you over the top.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    im getting the council to put one on swains lane as at the moment its the only way i can save face.
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Looks like they need a strong dose of MTFU! That hill looks about 6% or 7% for 100m, if that.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Not exactly rocket science is it, but still some people struggle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zMCo2zQYVE
  • Mr Plum wrote:
    Looks like they need a strong dose of MTFU! That hill looks about 6% or 7% for 100m, if that.

Agreed.

On that subject, does anyone know where/what the steepest hill in Londinium is? I'm a bit of a sadomasochist and 'enjoy' the chellenge of taking on big hills a la Ditchling beacon.
  • Brilliant :lol:

The technique looks a lot like taking a drag lift on a snowboard....something that has caused me more than enough grief over the years !
    Misguided Idealist
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,377
    Ride hard wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Agreed.

On that subject, does anyone know where/what the steepest hill in Londinium is? I'm a bit of a sadomasochist and 'enjoy' the chellenge of taking on big hills a la Ditchling beacon.

Swains Lane is probably one of the steepest near the centre (Highgate area). Further out but still inside the M25, there's Succomb's Hill near Whyteleafe, which is short but 25%.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Agreed.

Swains Lane is probably one of the steepest near the centre (Highgate area). Further out but still inside the M25, there's Succomb's Hill near Whyteleafe, which is short but 25%.

25%? Nice one. The only problem is its oop North, and I live in sarf so I might need to apply for a visa :)

I've got a 20% right outside my flat, but its very short as its only 100 metres or so.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Ride hard wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Agreed.

25%? Nice one. The only problem is its oop North, and I live in sarf so I might need to apply for a visa :)

I've got a 20% right outside my flat, but its very short as its only 100 metres or so.
    there just so happens to be a hill climb challenge thread on the subject...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12800630
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Agreed.

there just so happens to be a hill climb challenge thread on the subject...
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12800630

spasypaddy, I salute you!

I've just seen the rapha challenge on t'internet too. Looks like fun.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Ride hard wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Agreed.

Haha, spoken like a Southerner, Ditchling is but a pimple :lol:

By the way, Brubakken in Trondheim is at just under 20%, is that significantly steeper than anying in that London?
  • dodgy wrote:
    Ride hard wrote:
    Mr Plum wrote:

Agreed.

Haha, spoken like a Southerner, Ditchling is but a pimple :lol:

By the way, Brubakken in Trondheim is at just under 20%, is that significantly steeper than anying in that London?

Haha. Well, as a true Southern softy with a dearth of decent hills in sarf Londinium, the times I have taken on Ditchling has made it seem like the Alps.

Saying that, I need to man up for next year's Etape du Tour.