Anyone any idea what retro hub this is?

junglist_matty
junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
edited September 2011 in MTB general
Purchased with a bike in about 1997/1998...

Image001.jpg

The rear is a Parallax hub, but looking at photos on the internet, doesn't look like the front is which seems strange as they came as a built pair with a brand new bike back then

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Looks like a parallax front thats lost its rubber seals. Is it 'ribbed'? If its smoothly polished and with sealed bearings, its probably a white industries, if its cup n cone and a rough finish its shimano (I reckon).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • What bike did they come off? Find the spec of that and get an idea? I'm guessing Shimano as most other hubs of that shape and look all seemed to use sealed bearings (even back then)...

There was Suntour kicking around then but they didn't make fat hubs like that...Sachs (which became SRAM) but again, they didn't do oversized hubs like that...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • I don't have a clue what the bike was because it was a bare aluminium frame and can't remember the name of the frame when it was bought.... was my first "propper" mountain bike, my second one being a GT Tempest.

Doesn't matter too much now as I sold them on eBay for a minimal £20 with 9spd deore cassette... Hardly worth my time to the post office for that amount, but trying to clearout some old rubbish that's taking up space in my garage!