Front Mech Reach

Rudeolf
Rudeolf Posts: 7
edited February 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Building a Cove Stiffee mostly from new parts but with a few bits from an old bike to keep costs down for now.

I had to get a wider bb as the original 118mm caused the outer chainring to snag on the chain stay. Now I have a 122.5 that fits everything nicely except my front mech doesn't have enough reach for the chain ring - it's maybe 3 - 4mm not enough.

Any ideas to solve this would be much appreciated!!

Frame: Cove Stiffee 17.5"
BB: Shimano UN54 68x122.5
Crankset: Truvativ tripple set
Mech: Shimano Deore

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You have backed the high stop off haven't you? most mechs will have enough capacity for the extra 2.25mm (half of 122.5-118mm) you need!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah, I checked that! :)

The high limit screw is out almost all the way so doesn't engage at all.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hmm seems strange that it won't go an extra 2.25mm.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Have you checked that its not the shifter?
    If you pull the cable by hand will it reach the big chain ring?
  • Yeah, basically the mech seems to reach it's full limit by hand and the shifter seems fine.

Thanks for the input guys, I've decided this is a good excuse to try out a dual chainring set up and have ordered a 26t & 36t with a bash guard in place of my old 42!

Cheers
  • Hi there
    Have about the same problems, not with the fr.shifter(not yet), but with chainring touching the chainstay. I have tried to mount a Truvativ X7 2x10 sp with 42/28t and it seems that no matter how many spacer I use(1-2-3) the problem stays.
    I think this frame is'nt build for normal set-up, or at least not for the new bb's with external bearings. Check the rear of the bb shell, you see huge tire clearence and I think this frame has a special geometry made for older set-up's like maybe ISIS axles or some crazy Race Face cranks.
    I have read about some Stiffe's with Shim XT, can anyone comment on that?
    Good luck.