Repairing Chain on the trail

divingmoose
divingmoose Posts: 540
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
What do you guys do out on trail if you snap a chain do you carry spare links and if so do local bike shops sell spare links

Comments

• Yes and yes, a chain tool is a must for me too
  • What are the SRAM connectors like and do you need the same make of chain links when repairing
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited September 2011
    SRAM Powerlink 8)
    CHPCL2;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg
    and a chain-splitter 8)
    What are the SRAM connectors like and do you need the same make of chain links when repairing
    They're the dogs and work with Shimano as well.
  • SRAM power links (easy and reusable) and a multi-tool that includes a chain tool to save bulk.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    SRAM Powerlink 8)
    CHPCL2;Warehouse;Warehouse.jpg
    and a chain-splitter 8)

Jinx.
    2011 Genesis Latitude
    2009 GT Transeo 3.0
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    2 links and a short length of chain so you can remove the failed bit and replace.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    2 links and a short length of chain so you can remove the failed bit and replace.....

Simon
    I've done this on rides before and the chain just splits again, because of the way the chain is made, once a pin is pushed out and back in again, the chain is weakened in that place, so you need to put a power link connector in, and then when you get home, replace the chain or stick in a middle link and another power link connector to keep it the same length. Or this is what happens with the KMC chains I buy. Luckily I've not snapped one in a good year or so *touch wood*.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ilovedirt, you're overthinking thing. WAY overthinking.
    Remove piece of chain that contains damaged link.
    Replace with the short length of chain, and two powerlinks.

simple.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    30j5yy8.jpg
    I carry the bit of chain removed when shortening it to fit and my Hexus II multi tool.
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798

simple.
    That's pretty much what i said, just with less rambling :P
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    ilovedirt wrote:

simple.
    That's pretty much what i said, just with less rambling :P

It's also the same as what TheBeginner said :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Anonymous
    ilovedirt, no, you didn't. You just spwewed out words suggesting that it didn't work. At least I think so, it was damn near impossible to follow.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Don't push the pin out completely and it will be fine 9/10. Its the pin going all the way through that tends to make it split again.

You only want the pin through just enough to get the link out.
  • Anonymous
    But when you're re-attatching it with a powerlink, then it's two inners that are needed on the chain, so it makes no difference if the pin does go all the way through - that outer plate with the ppin is getting discarded anyway.
  • Cheers Guys thanks
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks Yehaa, that's exactly what I do....I also have my chain set up with 2 powerlinks spaced one inner apart giving me an extra powerlink if I need it fro just the loss of the largest sprocket.

As for GTD's wire, carried one ever since I started riding again, use an old spoke cut in half and the 2 ends bent by just over 90 degree's.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Simon - that 'wire' in GTD pic is not a 'wire' it comes with the tool and it's a tool in itself.

Though yes a bent spoke performs more or less the same.

Oh and on this topic you can get away with just one powerlink - you will just have to shorten the chain, but you'll get home.