Skincare - no, seriously.

Niffleman
Niffleman Posts: 87
edited September 2011 in Commuting general
I hesitate to ask this question but I will anyway. I commute to work and shave before I leave, showering when I arrive. This seems to be quite bad for the skin on my face, especially when the weather gets colder. Does anyone else use moisturiser or something to help with this? Any recommendations? Or am I just being a bit of a wuss?

Comments

• why not just bring a razor to work? or an electric one or somthing that gets left there?
  • I have thought about this but I commute by train and bike and the tiiming is all a bit tight, so there isn't really time for a shave as well. If I had more time it would be the ideal solution.
  • My lips crack in the winter so I use a cream on them before setting off if they feel off.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    I don't use moisturiser particularly any more, but when I used to I found putting it on before exercise was a big mistake, as it caused my skin to sweat a lot more, and to sweat out the moisturiser.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Shave the night before?
  • I moisturise all the time, I end up showering at least twice if not 3x per day (once after the morning commute, again after the commute home and again at lunch time if I go to the gym). All that showering really dries the skin out, I'd started to get dandruff in my chest hair! Since moisturising, my skin is much better...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Bear in mind it's the soap etc. that tends to dry out your skin, rather than the water itself. That said, hot water isn't great - I tend to use cold water on my face and hair, and would never use soap or anything similar on my face unless I absolutely have to.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I always shave the night before, I have 5 oclock shadow anyway by 11 so it makes no difference to me anyway even if I shave in the morning but in the winter my lips suffer the most so always have to put something on them if I don't want cracked lips.
  • my hands and lips crack in the winter if I do not moisturise them. Diprobase for my hands, vaseline for my lips. Moisturise my face twice a day every day all year round and before every ride in winter as well.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Calling DDD to this thread.............

:lol:
  • I get dry skin around my eyes in winter and so use this stuff after showering:

IDShot_225x225.jpg

If anyone questions my manliness I just mumble something about Norwegian fishermen. :lol:
  • I moisturise after showering.

I also smear lips with petroleum jelly when they're becoming dry.

Nowt wrong with a little self-care.
  • beard
  • I use this stuff when I can remember to:

http://www.mankind.co.uk/men-u-facial-moisturiser-lift-100ml/10195994.html

"Repairs some of the damage caused by shaving hence should always be used afterwards to help calm the skin"
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I shave in the shower, its quicker to combine them. I use shaving oil which doesnt suck the moisture out, and a bog standard tub of Boots moisturiser (the cucumber flavour is good).
    I use lipsalve in cold, dry conditions.
  • greeny1
    greeny1 Posts: 106
    i used to get terrible shaving rash.Trie all sorts but lab series 3-1 post shave is the best thing ive ever used to sort out the freddy kreugar look. Its pricey but lasts an age and works wonders
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Good old fashioned Nivea cream. £4 for a large tub that lasts quite a while.

Loads of wimmin use it and they know what works.

When I used to shave very early morning then ride I shaved, put the Nivea on my face, rode to work. it stays a little moist for a while so soaked in on the ride, no red skin / wind chap etc, showered at work, no soreness and baby smooth non greasy skin.

Just add the lippy at your desk :wink:
    Peter
  • my mum (I know but thats what there for) bought me vasiline moisturiser for men. it comes in a blue bottle and isn't purfumed at all, does wonders for my face and hands. only a couple of quid for large bottle.
    trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I shave the night before, but then again i only shave about 3 times a week anyway (if that). You'd have thought at 27 I'd have hit puperty by now!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Yup, shave the night before, or I get ingrown hairs from my helmet strap and spots from sweat entering open pores. Or I take a razor and shave at work - it only takes two minutes.
  • I hesitate to ask this question but I will anyway. I commute to work and shave before I leave, showering when I arrive. This seems to be quite bad for the skin on my face, especially when the weather gets colder. Does anyone else use moisturiser or something to help with this? Any recommendations? Or am I just being a bit of a wuss?

Sudocreme. Wash it off in the shower at work. Then apply moisturiser (SPF).

It works fantastically well.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    guys, all of these creams lotions etc don't do anything.... keep hydrated, cut down on booze and eat healthily

don't believe the adverts; all the home remedies are as a result of people trying to recreate 'results' that the adverts say happen
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight